IGNORED

Anyone who sells/produces adaptor-units to use either 9 pin or PC-15 pin controller for the Atari 5200?

Giles N

Hi, I have an Atari 5200, but need more ways to use joysticks/controllers than just the refurbished orginal ones.

I wonder if someone here sells/makes connections/adaptors/cables to make PC 15 pin joysticks or say Sega Master/Genesis controller on the Atari 5200.

Regards, 

Well, @bohoki occasionally makes adapters for 15-pin PC joysticks, and @smbaker sometimes produces PCB’s for his Masterplay clones that let you connect any standard 9-pin Atari compatible stick or gamepad to your 5200 with an integrated keypad, though you have to build the actual adapter yourself from the PCBs. Last time I bought a pair they were about $12 each shipped, plus another $10 in parts each to build. The Masterplay clones I’ve built are great in that that they map the second FIRE button not only to a physical button on the board, but also to the Genesis “C” button, so you can use two buttons on a standard 3-button Genny controller for games like DEFENDER. :)

On 7/21/2019 at 5:27 AM, DrVenkman said:

//The Masterplay clones I’ve built are great in that that they map the second FIRE button not only to a physical button on the board, but also to the Genesis “C” button, so you can use two buttons on a standard 3-button Genny controller for games like DEFENDER. :)//

Cool. I live in Norway; would there be a chance you´d be interested in building and selling me a Masterplay clone (including costs for shipment)?

I could PayPal it.

?

Anyway, cool stuff you told about there.

;-)

I'm sorry, but I only work on my own stuff or for friends in real life; I just don't trust myself to be responsible and timely enough to work on stuff for others, especially when I'd have to charge in advance for parts at least, plus return shipping. :( 

For what it's worth, a pair of @smbaker's boards, plus parts to build two controllers, came to about $50 or so when I built mine last summer; so roughly $25 each. I'm going from memory, and some component prices might have changed a little bit in the intervening months. But they do work great. If you can find someone - preferably in Europe or the UK! - to build them for you, they're great. 

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.bc4be0228f61fd1347c6bb74d014082b.JPG

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I'm sorry, but I only work on my own stuff or for friends in real life; I just don't trust myself to be responsible and timely enough to work on stuff for others, especially when I'd have to charge in advance for parts at least, plus return shipping. :( 

For what it's worth, a pair of @smbaker's boards, plus parts to build two controllers, came to about $50 or so when I built mine last summer; so roughly $25 each. I'm going from memory, and some component prices might have changed a little bit in the intervening months. But they do work great. If you can find someone - preferably in Europe or the UK! - to build them for you, they're great. 

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.bc4be0228f61fd1347c6bb74d014082b.JPG

Well, I would trust anyone else but myself to do these sorts of things, but...thanks for input anyway...;-)

Appreciated!