IGNORED

Can you play an Atari 2600 (NTSC U/C) on a foreign (PAL, NTSCJ) TV?

Magmavision2000

I'm probably sounding really stupid right now, but how do you exactly hook up a 2600 (or really any rf only system for that matter) to PAL and NTSCJ televisions? Is it the same procedure as hooking up a Japanese rf system to an American television?

I would say it depends on the TV in question. Are you talking about a modern LCD TV? Some support multiple norms, some don't. My TV at least does 60Hz, but I only have PAL devices. The NTSC cartridges work, but have weird color. Never tried a NTSC console.

I also have an A/V mod, so I don't have any problem with RF modulation. Thta should make things easier for you as well, I guess. 

All games work cross platform but the colors get messed up and I think the speed changes? They didn't have any kind of region locks or whatever back then, the cart just sends an incompatible signal and the TV interprets it as it wants. I think that if you send it through HDMI it always works, but not sure.

Due to the 2600's architecture, the cartridge dictates the number of scanlines and consequently the screen refresh rate, not the console.  So, as long as you have a TV that can handle both the 50-ish frames per second of PAL cartridges and the 60-ish frames per second of NTSC cartridges, your console will happily play them all.  As noted, the colors will be off when you use any cartridge not originally meant for you region, but the games will otherwise play fine.