IGNORED

Need info: U-Print Model A printer interface

ACML

I found an Atari 8-bit printer interface called the U-Print Model A.  It says on the box "with graphics".  Does that mean it can list Atari CTRL-Character graphics in listings like the AT-Graphics interface?  If so, that is great as this model also has the 13 pin SIO pass-thru.

Sorry, can't answer that, but it certainly sounds like it should. Only info I could find on it was:-

U-PRINT A64 
(interface/buffer) 
Digital Devices Corp. 
430 Tenth Street, Suite N205 
Atlanta, GA 30318 
(800) 554-4898 
In Georgia (404) 872-4430 
$179.95-64K, $119.95-16K 
$89.95-interface only

U-Print A replaces Digital's popular Ape-Face printer interface. The two higher-priced models also include memory buffers. A copy button for up to 255 multiple copies and reset button are built in.

That's what I'm hoping.  The AT Graphic interface has a dip switch to set the internal ROM that carried the ATASCII graphics.  You could just LPRINT from BASIC and it would produce ATASCII characters on your Espon, Star, etc.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Has anyone found a manual for the U-Print A64 yet?

I have what i believe is a U-print A16, it has no sticker on the outside but the outer shell and buttons match the description of the A16 or A64.  I see 6 empty sockets.  I have read everything I can find on the web.  I read that it takes 4164-15 chips, but the 2 in the picture are 2164-15, which I have read are compatible.   I am looking to drop in 6 more chips to get the full 64k buffer.  I also read one of the buttons allows you to make up to 255 copies of the data in the buffer. the other button is a reset/cancel.  Update: I have also read this is able to print out ATASCII, I just listed a program to the P: and it printed but flipped out when it came to Atascii characters.

1042978882_uprinta.thumb.jpg.8c9b39a84e492b748b2259412034a8f4.jpg

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1

Looks like the claim of graphics support relies on extra software, the print buffer is cool, but it's not like some that translated and printed the atascii set on the fly...  so you want the AT graphic interface or some of the pricier option to get the built in as opposed to software.

• Like 1

It looks like it will cost me about $20 to get the 6 4164 dims to take mine from 16k to 64k buffer.   I was hoping this had the Atascii support too.    May just have to live with the G: driver. The copy feature is cool idea though!

While looking for this is in my basement I found 2 others, I have an Axiom AT-846 (looks like it requires external power) and an Ape-Face XLP,  I seem to remember having and MPP but it may be in my garage.

Edited by venom4728a

I found them on Jameco for $2.25 each, they have $4.71 shipping fee and $1.10 in taxes.  To top that off there is a $6.50 processing fee added to orders under $20, which kinda forces me to buy at least $20 worth of something, to avoid paying $ 6.50 for nothing. :)

9 hours ago, venom4728a said:

I found them on Jameco for $2.25 each, they have $4.71 shipping fee and $1.10 in taxes.  To top that off there is a $6.50 processing fee added to orders under $20, which kinda forces me to buy at least $20 worth of something, to avoid paying $ 6.50 for nothing. :)

You can also find DRAMs on eBay, often with free shipping. Looks like most of the 4164’s currently are in tubes of 10, which is more than you need. But spares are always good. :)

I did look on Ebay too. I am trying to avoid directly buying anything from China.  I would rather pay a little bit more and have my money help out a US company.  I know the chips were probably made in China originally.   Plus, buying from Jameco it will probably arrive within a few days, in a box, in good condition. From China it could be next week or next month.

I have tried using the "US Only" search function on Ebay and still had stuff arrive from China.  Ebay and Amazon are both Market places, that means nearly everything you find on there can be found someplace else cheaper.  People find a product cheap and resell it for profit.  I wish Radio Shack was still around....

18 minutes ago, venom4728a said:

I did look on Ebay too. I am trying to avoid directly buying anything from China.  I would rather pay a little bit more and have my money help out a US company. 

This eBay listing is 8 for $10($5 + $5 shipping) from Enfield Conneticut:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-PCs-HYB4164-P2-LF-SIEMENS-64Kx1-200ns-DRAM-MOS-PAGE-MODE-PDIP16/143595449587?hash=item216ef4acf3:g:DDcAAOSwS51ert-b

41256 chips are also compatible, they just need pin 1 grounded to function as 4164 chips.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:10 PM, venom4728a said:

Has anyone found a manual for the U-Print A64 yet?

I have what i believe is a U-print A16, it has no sticker on the outside but the outer shell and buttons match the description of the A16 or A64.  I see 6 empty sockets.  I have read everything I can find on the web.  I read that it takes 4164-15 chips, but the 2 in the picture are 2164-15, which I have read are compatible.   I am looking to drop in 6 more chips to get the full 64k buffer.  I also read one of the buttons allows you to make up to 255 copies of the data in the buffer. the other button is a reset/cancel.  Update: I have also read this is able to print out ATASCII, I just listed a program to the P: and it printed but flipped out when it came to Atascii characters.

1042978882_uprinta.thumb.jpg.8c9b39a84e492b748b2259412034a8f4.jpg

Did you ever get this to work with six 4164s to make it 64K?

I now have an A16 and would like to do the same.

Edited by ACML

Must have been due some good karma.  I opened up the A16 I recently purchased off eBay and it already had the six RAM sockets populated with RAM, so it came with 64K!  I had never really heard of the U Print back in the day, but its nice to have a buffer and the SIO pass-thru in a small interface.  I haven't purchased a Fujinet yet, but I'm sure there's one in my future.  Just gong to wait for the hardware to stabilize (i.e ver 1.6 maybe).

Question:  Are 2164 and 4164 DRAMs compatible as long as they are both 128 refresh?