IGNORED

Which Atari 5200 games means the most to you, and why (these)?

Giles N

On 8/17/2019 at 1:57 PM, David Alexander said:

For me its Wizard of War and Joust. Many hours played together with my brother.

14310452_1636181333378678_6964737992343487802_o.jpg

DSC05223.JPG

Wizard of Wor is cool.

Havent gotten as much into Joust yet.

But I now have 2600/5200/7800 versions.

The 7800 version looked quite close to the Arcade.

10 hours ago, Giles N said:

Wizard of Wor is cool.

Havent gotten as much into Joust yet.

But I now have 2600/5200/7800 versions.

The 7800 version looked quite close to the Arcade.

Seeing as your a fan of WoW, you'll want to keep an eye out for this upcoming 2600 homebrew release by John Champeau.

58 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Seeing as your a fan of WoW, you'll want to keep an eye out for this upcoming 2600 homebrew release by John Champeau.

Ha ha I thought for a second you meant World of Warcraft (which is not my type of game, I’m almost exclusively into real-time-input playability, arcade, action, driving, flight).

Yeah Wizard of Wor is a cool game!

its like, what was before gauntlet and other action-maze games..?

Obviously Wizard of Wor (perhaps other titles too).

I usually play it for the 5200 with a modded arcade-type joystick, as the standard controller (which, when refurbished) is very good for Pole Position, Star Wars Arcade, Missile Command etc, but not very optimal for quick-flick action games.

Do post a full review of the 2600 homebrew 2600 Wizard of Wor when released!

Wizard of War Arcade is currently scheduled to be released at this years Portland Retro Gaming Expo (PRGE) with a follow up release in the AA Store, sometime thereafter.  This thread covers the new AA releases at PRGE.

As for full reviews ZeroPage Hombrew has you covered.:thumbsup:  Their first post is routinely updated with the upcoming reviews as well their past reviews (e.g. Archived Shows).  

• Like 1

Hard to say.. I guess it might be 5200 Joust since I played that so much. Montezuma's Revenge is another since it was one of the games I could actually play and "start" when my buttons started going bad when I was a kid.  Else, Mr. Do's Castle is kind of infamous in my brain since it's a game I asked for Christmas and when I got it, it was broken with a loose part inside. So I ended up never trying it until decades later.. so it has that 'mystique" :lol:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Hard to say.. I guess it might be 5200 Joust since I played that so much. Montezuma's Revenge is another since it was one of the games I could actually play and "start" when my buttons started going bad when I was a kid.  Else, Mr. Do's Castle is kind of infamous in my brain since it's a game I asked for Christmas and when I got it, it was broken with a loose part inside. So I ended up never trying it until decades later.. so it has that 'mystique" :lol:

I totally love Mr Dos Castle.

But I play it with this modded arcade joystick on original 5200 hardware-console or just uses a PC emulation with an XBox controller to increase playability.

Given a good joystick option, its completely playable, but a tad difficult.

Love the castle setting.

The unicorn/dragon-somethings could perhaps have been better drawn, but they’re ok for a ‘82-‘84 system, considering a lot has to happen on screen.

But I noticed flicker when Mr Do + 4 unicorns/dragons where occupying the same horizontal line.

Yeah, Montezumas Revenge is a classic.

Very playable and lots of fun.

Guess its one those games that started a lot of more lenghty platform games.

Edited by Giles N

32 minutes ago, NE146 said:

I saw on ebay that there is this guy who actually sells ‘refurbishment’ of original, more or less damaged, 5200 controllers.

You send them to him and he say he will completely refurbish them and send them back.

Edited by Giles N

On 7/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, AverageSoftware said:

No contest, it's Qix.

Same here!  It's one of those games that keep pulling you back to play over and over again.  Someday I'll get the video modification done so I can actually enjoy it more... or maybe a TI-99/4A version will get ported.  To me Qix is as addicting as Tetris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mangia-Boy said:

Robotron and Qix.

Because both of them were not available for Atari 2600 or the Colecovision. Both are programmed very well.

Donkey Kong was an excellent port for the 8bit Computers, later available as a conversion.

Do you use a twin-joystick setup for Robotron?

59 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I saw on ebay that there is this guy who actually sells ‘refurbishment’ of original, more or less damaged, 5200 controllers.

You send them to him and he say he will completely refurbish them and send them back.

You can buy all the parts and do it yourself. If I can do it, a child can do it.

There's someone on eBay that sells all the parts if you're like me and don't want to bother with calling Best Electronics.

6 minutes ago, Mangia-Boy said:

Normally not. 

But I have something like this, the X-Arcade joystick. (version with two controllers and one trackball)

But it's so extremely large, that most often it is placed in the attic.

I see the link goes to a buy-and-check-out thing: are you making these by order?

Its called 78: does it work, or come as a 5200 compatible, or 5200-made version?

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

I do.  Here's my Edladdin Super Twin 78 controller setup.  Use this with Robotron and 5200 exclusive Space Dungeon.

I see the link goes to a buy-and-check-out thing: are you making these by order?

Its called 78: does it work, or come as a 5200 compatible, or 5200-made version?

41 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I see the link goes to a buy-and-check-out thing: are you making these by order?

I don't make these.  They are manufactured by Ed Kelly of Edladdin Controllers.   He sells them from his website, and Al has them for sale here in the AA Store.  Ed is a member (e.g. edladdin) here on the forums. 

47 minutes ago, Giles N said:

You would need an adapter or Master Play type clone (like I have) to use this with the 5200.  

https://edladdin.com/Super-Twin-78-ec-1-002.htm

44 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I don't make these.  They are manufactured by Ed Kelly of Edladdin Controllers.   He sells them from his website, and Al has them for sale here in the AA Store.  Ed is a member (e.g. edladdin) here on the forums. 

You would need an adapter or Master Play type clone (like I have) to use this with the 5200.  

https://edladdin.com/Super-Twin-78-ec-1-002.htm

Yeah, and its getting hold of these masterplay-clones thats the problem...

for me this is an easy choice...Pengo! i think this is a GREAT version of the arcade game

in fact i think the 5200 version is way better than the arcade game because the arcade version

is so fast it's almost unplayable..but they made the 5200 just right where you have to time to think 

and plan a strategy 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

for me this is an easy choice...Pengo! i think this is a GREAT version of the arcade game

in fact i think the 5200 version is way better than the arcade game because the arcade version

is so fast it's almost unplayable..but they made the 5200 just right where you have to time to think 

and plan a strategy 

Pengo is awesome!

• Like 1