IGNORED

Replacement 5200 controller parts suggestions

Machine

I cleaned 4 of my 5200 controller, and only one is fully working. I decided to replace the flex board in the rest and was wondering which one to get. Looks like there are 3 options.....there is a $6-7 flex board, a $19 one, and I think a even more expensive version. Which one to get? Is the $20 "gold" one good enough for casual use? The $7 one looks like it has copper on the press areas but I can't tell.

They also sell the different rubber numeric pads. I think there is at least 3 versions of those. Do those have to be replaced? I did the copper tape on a few and they seem to be sticking extremely well.

Suggestions on the flex boards and also on the rubber pads(if those have to be replaced)?????

Thanks

Edited by Machine

12 hours ago, Machine said:

I cleaned 4 of my 5200 controller, and only one is fully working. I decided to replace the flex board in the rest and was wondering which one to get. Looks like there are 3 options.....there is a $6-7 flex board, a $19 one, and I think a even more expensive version. Which one to get? Is the $20 "gold" one good enough for casual use? The $7 one looks like it has copper on the press areas but I can't tell.

They also sell the different rubber numeric pads. I think there is at least 3 versions of those. Do those have to be replaced? I did the copper tape on a few and they seem to be sticking extremely well.

Suggestions on the flex boards and also on the rubber pads(if those have to be replaced)?????

Thanks

Well, I don't normally replace the rubber buttons on my controllers and just do as you stated. I either use my copper foil tape or my aluminium foil tape to place over the pad surface. I've done that for 20 years and while the foil squares I use will eventually come loose off the pad, they stay attached for several years before doing so and really that is very minor.

On the flex circuits I have no issues with the Rev 7 version, but I also like the Rev 9 (But only the aluminium trace version). The other Rev 9s I've seen were on white colored mylar flex and used graphite coated traces that tend to wear off much faster and can actually be damaged if you use an eraser on them to clean them.

I think the last batch of flex circuits I purchased might have been online through ebay as I needed them quickly and it was more convenient to do so. I think they were only a $1 or more each vs the price they cost with Best. Although I have ordered flex circuits several times from Best over the years.

• Like 1

I’ve had to replace a flex circuit on one of my controllers but the buttons only needed copper tape to get them working again. I did that on most of my controllers about 6 years ago and they still work fine today. The ones with gold contacts hold up well too, I bought one that had already been rebuilt at CGE 15 years ago with gold contacts and it still works as great as it did back then.