Sign in to follow this  
fsf

Online sprite creator

I got sick of having to math out sprites, and all the utilities I could find required installation (and, if I'm remembering correctly, they were all Windows-based).  So, I made this: https://fsf.io/projects/spritemaker

I hope it's useful to some of you!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, fsf said:

I got sick of having to math out sprites, and all the utilities I could find required installation (and, if I'm remembering correctly, they were all Windows-based).  So, I made this: https://fsf.io/projects/spritemaker

I hope it's useful to some of you!

pretty cool, but can i make a suggestion.  I did this some time ago in a  vb .net program and coded it to detect if a block was selected or not.  I would suggest that if a block is already filled you should be able to click it again to clear it and not have to clear the entire image.  this way if you accidentally click, you can correct it simply.

Edited by Shift838

Posted (edited)

to erase, right click or hold shift and click

the initial version used toggle-clicking as you suggest, but the ux got strange when dragging to paint

a way to perhaps implement both just popped in my head, though - hopefully it'll pan out. if all else fails, it could be a user-selectable toggle. thanks for the feedback!

edit: done - now whether you're in "paint" or "erase" mode is determined by if your first click paints (ie is on an empty cell) or erases (ie is on a filled cell).  subsequent dragging will paint in paint mode and erase in erase mode, but won't toggle a cell on and off. that ought to be much better for mobile users, for whom right-clicking and shift-clicking is a obnoxious/impossible

Edited by fsf
  • Like 4

I remember we already had one kind of this Sprite Editor Online.
it was from Sometimes99er but in flash :( anyway i really liked it, you could take as example maybe?

this is  the original link here on AtariAge: 

for use it you have to activate flash on your browser of course.

1.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice work. I remember creating a character definition program in TI Basic back in 1981, only to find out that there was already one in the back of the User's Manual! Oh well, it was a good exercise :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1