IGNORED

C64/VIC 20/PET Price

bluejay

I've got a question here: Why are Commodore computers so expensive? I've never found a working one for less than $100 on ebay, and the cheapest one I've ever found is a C64 and a few cartridges and cables for $75 at a flea market, but another guy offered me a TRS-80 model 100 and a bunch of accessories for $50, so I went with that one.(Even though he said it worked, it doesn't which is why it's frustrating, considering there was a c64 that might have worked at the same flea market.) The only way I thing I can get my hands one one of those(even though they aren't rare) is by becoming somebody famous and getting one as a donation.

Simply put, the prices for which these machines sell are the prices the market will support.  Something is only worth what someone will pay, and for as long as I can remember the going prices for a working Commodore 64 alone in decent condition run the statistical normal distribution around an average of about $100.  Including a working 1541 in decent condition, the average runs to about $130.

Mind you, this is anecdotal and I think a proper analysis would be fun and very interesting.  Nonetheless, this is what I remember going back to around 1996 when I used to sell refurbed 64 and 1541 combos for $125 in the Thrifty Nickel.

Considering inflation in the United States, $125 today would have been roughly $205 back in 1996.  I would say that holds pretty well with age and availability of units today which do not require age*- or abuse**-related refurb work versus back then.

* Failed components, brittle plastic, worn plastic or finger nail indentations on keys, etc.

** Poor handling, improper storage, bug infestations, etc.

If you don't like going prices, I was going to suggest learning how to fix this stuff yourself. Tons of great info and documentation out there for troubleshooting, repair, etc.    :)

Owning this old gear means there's a certain bit of required maintenance anyway, so may as well get a jump on it and start building soldering skills on some busted junk!    :lol:

• Like 1

Prices have increased significantly here in Australia since I started back into retro the past 18 months. 

I got an almost brand new looking in boxes 64c and 1541-II for around $180 - now people are asking for $3-4-500 for less or equivalent

3 hours ago, mksmith said:

Prices have increased significantly here in Australia since I started back into retro the past 18 months. 

I got an almost brand new looking in boxes 64c and 1541-II for around $180 - now people are asking for $3-4-500 for less or equivalent

Woah.  See here.