IGNORED

Be on the lookout for stolen Trade-N-Games rarities

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, stupus said:

I heard some updates on this but i have not been able to find any info online giving any updated info.

If anyone has a link to where jason might be updating info please share it.

I heard the people were caught....

It’s been 3 months without any updates. We’re there any arrests?  Did any of the items get recovered?  

2 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

It’s been 3 months without any updates. We’re there any arrests?  Did any of the items get recovered?  

I haven't seen anything really other than a post in the AA Marketplace back in mid December. There was a sales post made by someone offering an Air Raid cart. Jason chimed in immediately stating that this was his stolen cart and asked that the post be removed and and the admins contact the him and the seller. They acted fast. I went back a few minutes later to grab a screen shot and the post was gone. 

It's amazing that someone would come to such a large community to try and move some stolen goods. Maybe the seller bought them and didn't know they were stolen and was just trying to sell who knows. 

But that is one interesting thing I have seen lately related to the situation. 

• Like 3

I havent heard more since i did in september other than the air raid on facebook. My guess is the facebook seller bought it and then was just reselling it.

What i heard in sept was the people were caught and it included a former employee of jason who now worked for a competitor game store in that area. And it was people from that game store that did it and knew exactly what he had and how to get in and out fast.

I havent heard about if he got stuff back or not yet.

Hoping he would update somewhere but i havent seen him do so that i know of.

1 hour ago, stupus said:

I havent heard more since i did in september other than the air raid on facebook. My guess is the facebook seller bought it and then was just reselling it.

What i heard in sept was the people were caught and it included a former employee of jason who now worked for a competitor game store in that area. And it was people from that game store that did it and knew exactly what he had and how to get in and out fast.

I havent heard about if he got stuff back or not yet.

Hoping he would update somewhere but i havent seen him do so that i know of.

Wow, that's despicable. 

Unless the cartridges are marked or somehow identifiable. how does someone prove that a specific item was stolen (or otherwise came from) a particular collection? These are mass-produced (albeit very rare) items not unique works of art with a traceable provenance.  

There is also the legal doctrine that a purchaser for value, without notice takes good title -- e.g. person A steals a valuable widget. and then resells it. If I, in turn,  purchase the widget from person A without notice (actual or constructive) that it was stolen, I get good title. The original owner has a claim against person A, of course, but not against a subsequent purchaser.

Edited by jhd

With photos, there's a good chance someone would in fact be able to identify their specific item - tiny blemishes in the print, a wrinkle in the cellophane, a pattern of fading, a mark left by a shop sticker - any little detail could be recognizable to the owner even on sight, let alone by simply comparing against personal high-quality photos. I'm not a huge fan of collector culture, but I really sympathize hard with collectors who get robbed. It's pretty dumb to steal this kind of stuff, and people who do it usually get what's coming to them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Tempest said:

So is this guy a rando or did he have some connection to the store?  I thought the thief had to have some inside knowledge to know what was where and what to steal.

It seems like some random guy saw the store's YouTube videos where their vault was shown, if this article is anything to go by: https://www.kmov.com/news/man-arrested-after-worth-of-rare-video-games-stolen-from/article_8415da26-c091-11e9-8948-ff2f7c5fe2a8.html

On 12/26/2019 at 11:57 PM, jhd said:

There is also the legal doctrine that a purchaser for value, without notice takes good title -- e.g. person A steals a valuable widget. and then resells it. If I, in turn,  purchase the widget from person A without notice (actual or constructive) that it was stolen, I get good title. The original owner has a claim against person A, of course, but not against a subsequent purchaser.

I think it depends if the person that got stolen took their insurance money or not. To my understanding, the idea is that the insurance "become the owner" of the stolen items.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/automobiles/collectibles/11STOLEN.html

For those who don't wanna click on a link, a Shelby was stolen in the 70's; 30 years later, someone found it for sale on eBay, and checked what car it was , for the seller listen the VIN and special Shelby number, and they matched the stolen car.

The rightful owner called the police, and after checking, the car was returned to him. And the "owner/seller" which was found honest and not involved in the theft, well... got nothing. Despite having buying it with what looked like a clean title from a previous owner, he wasn't the legal owner of the car.

Though he was refunded for the theft back in the day, so now the car is legally the insurer's property...

• Like 1

I've watched the videos that TNG has posted. And none of the Atari stuff was show in those vids nor information that would lead anyone to think those games were in the safe. So while the videos do show the safe in the background, there isn't any reason to think the games would be inside there. I wouldn't have thought they were in there. Although I see quite a few safes in my line of work, they usually contain cash tills full of starting bank amounts for the customer's POS systems and not rarities. I would have thought that stuff would have been kept at home personally.

Still I'm glad to see they got the guy, but it looks like some of the stuff was sold before this guy was found since it does state that not everything was recovered. Hopefully the games were at least or mostly recovered.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've watched the videos that TNG has posted. And none of the Atari stuff was show in those vids nor information that would lead anyone to think those games were in the safe. So while the videos do show the safe in the background, there isn't any reason to think the games would be inside there. I wouldn't have thought they were in there.

It's not his own videos that were the problem.  He showed off the safe and its contents at the end of this video that was posted by Racketboy back in 2010.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Although I see quite a few safes in my line of work, they usually contain cash tills full of starting bank amounts for the customer's POS systems and not rarities. I would have thought that stuff would have been kept at home personally.

Many years ago, I was visiting a used game store that supposedly had a Nintendo World Championship cartridge for sale. The proprietor assured me that it was being stored in a safe deposit box at a local bank rather than in the store. 

I have no idea if he was telling the truth about either the existence of the game cartridge or where it was being stored; I was not a potential purchaser so it did not matter.   

• 10 months later...
14 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Jason posted an update on the robbery.  Unfortunately it's not that good.  He "found" only a handful of his games, and most all were damaged.  The thieves fenced a lot of them in Las Vegas, and the shops out there were little help. 

That is a sad ending to a tragic tale.

Insurance may have covered the monetary worth, but the collectibles are usually invaluable to the one actually collecting them. Plus, depending on rarity some of this collection may be literally irreplaceable.

It is good that he got some of the collection back, but it certainly still is a tragic loss.

• Thanks 1