IGNORED

Any Homebrew Light Gun Games?

Skippy B. Coyote

I'm a big fan of light gun games on any system, and the Atari 2600 is no exception. Sentinel, the one officially released light gun game for the 2600, is fun enough and the Shooting Arcade prototype is pretty good too; though I've always wished there were a more games of this genre to choose from on the 2600. With that in mind I was wondering if anyone knew of any homebrew light gun games for the Atari 2600 that are/were in development or if there's ever been any game hacks that added light gun compatibility? Crossbow is one that could use it for sure! 

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Hmm, it seems that there was a poll or some discussion on here a while back as to how many actually still play on a crt. I don t much remember the outcome, but can imagine that number dwindling, though crt s are resilient. Now I m rather curious how much that would narrow the market for lightgun games. Puriests will always use crt's. So the question kinda is, what is the puriest to homebrew buyer ratio?

I have three CRTs myself and two light guns (Atari XE / Best Elec).  My main CRT currently has a 4 switch Woody with composite & s-video connected to it.  

Honestly, my favorite light gun game is Alien Brigade for the 7800.

Edited by sramirez2008
Alien Brigade

26 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have three CRTs myself and two light guns (Atari XE / Best Elec).  My main CRT currently has a 4 switch Woody with composite & s-video connected to it.  

Honestly, my favorite light gun game is Alien Brigade for the 7800.

Can you imagine Alien Brigade or Operation Blood LG for the 2600? 

31 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Duck Hunt would be cool!

I think, as far as "dwindling" CRT support, one could make the light gun version and include joystick or even trackball controller options to avoid people howling, but the lack of interest is more of a casual gamer thing, I think, which has led to a conventional, if not accurate, wisdom.

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Duck Hunt would be cool!

I have a friend who is a very good programmer that I have been trying to convince for years to port Duck Hunt to the 7800. You could do something on the 2600 sure but I think it would only be marginally better than "Bobby Is Hungry". Single color, 2 (maybe 3?) frame duck animations at best. Avoiding it becoming a flicker fest could be very interesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I have a friend who is a very good programmer that I have been trying to convince for years to port Duck Hunt to the 7800. You could do something on the 2600 sure but I think it would only be marginally better than "Bobby Is Hungry". Single color, 2 (maybe 3?) frame duck animations at best. Avoiding it becoming a flicker fest could be very interesting.

I agree it would look and play better on the 7800.