IGNORED

Question: AtariAge cart-reproduction-service - what does it do, how does it work, what does one get?

Giles N

What does it mean to provide or send a ‘binary’ for a reproduction cart?

Ha - sorry for being so out-of-the-game, but just don’t know.

Since I’ve spent some money on some of these games, I could really need some back-up carts of favourites or hard-to-get-games.

But what is sending or providimg a binary for the reproduction carts?

On 8/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, Giles N said:

What does it mean to provide or send a ‘binary’ for a reproduction cart?

Ha - sorry for being so out-of-the-game, but just don’t know.

Since I’ve spent some money on some of these games, I could really need some back-up carts of favourites or hard-to-get-games.

But what is sending or providimg a binary for the reproduction carts?

It means you have to provide the ROM file of the game or program you want reproduced onto a physical cartridge. If you are wanting something that is already documented in the archives here like say for instance, the game 'Blaster'. Then they already have that ROM binary file on hand and it wouldn't be required. But if you were wanting a game or program that perhaps you were developing or found online that doesn't exist in the archives here, then you would need to provide that ROM binary file. Naturally confirmation of permission to put said ROM file onto a physical cart from the original author/creator may be required as well if it isn't a game or program you created yourself.

3 hours ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

It means you have to provide the ROM file of the game or program you want reproduced onto a physical cartridge. If you are wanting something that is already documented in the archives here like say for instance, the game 'Blaster'. Then they already have that ROM binary file on hand and it wouldn't be required. But if you were wanting a game or program that perhaps you were developing or found online that doesn't exist in the archives here, then you would need to provide that ROM binary file. Naturally confirmation of permission to put said ROM file onto a physical cart from the original author/creator may be required as well if it isn't a game or program you created yourself.

What about making back-up-cartridges of games I’ve purchased, but which may not last forever?

Anyway of doing that besides contacting, say, Lucasfilm or Sega or Atari personally (a fairly outlandish amount of work to get a back-up-cart).

(Lets say I provide a photo of my copy of Resque on Fractalus. Something like that).

Doesn’t it say that it will reproduce them but put ‘reproduction-cart’ on the cart so it can’t sold as real-copy on ebay?

Edited by Giles N

I've not looked into having personal backups of commercially released games myself because I've only had like 2 ever in my collection that didn't work. That being a copy of 7800 Tomcat that only lasted for about 1 week in the late 80s that I took back to the store and exchanged for a copy of F-18 instead (That cart still works great btw...). The other being a copy of Tapper for the 2600 that is totally dead. But I received it that way in a bulk purchase of games and eventually found a replacement that does work for not much money.

In the case of Fractalus etc...it would likely be just as cost effective to purchase a replacement off ebay to keep as a backup on hand vs the cost to have Albert here at AA make one. 

But really I would just send Albert a PM asking about the specifics regarding what you are looking to have made.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

I've not looked into having personal backups of commercially released games myself because I've only had like 2 ever in my collection that didn't work. That being a copy of 7800 Tomcat that only lasted for about 1 week in the late 80s that I took back to the store and exchanged for a copy of F-18 instead (That cart still works great btw...). The other being a copy of Tapper for the 2600 that is totally dead. But I received it that way in a bulk purchase of games and eventually found a replacement that does work for not much money.

In the case of Fractalus etc...it would likely be just as cost effective to purchase a replacement off ebay to keep as a backup on hand vs the cost to have Albert here at AA make one. 

But really I would just send Albert a PM asking about the specifics regarding what you are looking to have made.

Thanks!