SainT

FIXED: ROM Loading Freezing

I’ve had one report of ROM loading freezing on the JagGD, if you have this issue please report it here.

I’m not sure if this is bad cart connection, memory card issue or specific to the particular console.

I can fix this, but it has implications for CD support for people with this issue!

Edited by SainT

I just got my JagSD cart today an I'm very excited however it is not working for me. When I tried to load any .jag ROMS it would get stuck at the loading ROM screen. I had to shut off my Jag and when I power it back on it just says loading Reading directory and does nothing. I have tried multiple .jag ROMS and they all get stuck at the loading ROM screen. I tried 2 different brands of microsd. I was able to upgrade to the latest firmware.

I have since tried a 3rd SD card that is 8GB. I got a stub error now and then whenever I tried to bootup the JagSD it sits at Reading directory.

I tried a 4th SDcard and it's still not working, it's a 16GB Kingston. I tried .ROM/.BIN demo files and the Bad Apple SD demo and it's getting stuck at loading ROM.  I would have to power it off.

Edited by kublai

Aha! Ok, this I *think* is due to a dirty cartridge slot or possible issues with the Jaguar itself if you’ve tried multiple memory cards without change. The interrupt pin is not usually used on the Jaguar (only used by the CD add-on), and what you are seeing is a symptom of interrupts not firing correctly.

Another thing you can try, which will test the cartridge address and data bus, is to press 7 and 9 together on the game menu. This will result in a ‘memory error’ if there are any issues there.

If you can try cleaning the cartridge port / removing and reinserting the cartridge a few times and seeing if you get any different results.

I can work around this and will be providing an update shortly which will work regardless of the interrupt pin working, however this needs to be working for CD emulation. My guess is your Jaguar won’t work with a JagCD plugged in, if my theory is right.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, SainT said:

Aha! Ok, this I *think* is due to a dirty cartridge slot or possible issues with the Jaguar itself if you’ve tried multiple SD’s without change. The interrupt pin is not usually used on the Jaguar (only used by the CD add-on), and what you are seeing is a symptom of interrupts not firing correctly.

Another thing you can try, which will test the cartridge address and data bus, is to press 7 and 9 together on the game menu. This will result in a ‘memory error’ if there are any issues there.

If you can try cleaning the cartridge port / removing and reinserting the cartridge a few times and seeing if you get any different results.

I can work around this and will be providing an update shortly which will work regardless of the interrupt pin working, however this needs to be working for CD emulation. My guess is your Jaguar won’t work with a JagCD plugged in, if my theory is right.

I pressed the 7 and 9 buttons together at the game menu and it did the memory test and it went through without any errors. I have cleaned the slot already and reseated many times.

I have a few carts that I am able to play without any issues.

Edited by kublai

12 hours ago, kublai said:

I pressed the 7 and 9 buttons together at the game menu and it did the memory test and it went through without any errors. I have cleaned the slot already and reseated many times.

I have a few carts that I am able to play without any issues.

No problem, thanks for the update. I'll be releasing a work-around for this issue early next week!

A further update on this issue. It looks likely that its a memory card socket issue rather than a problem with memory card or console, cart being returned for replacement and investigation! I'll post concrete information when I have it.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

This has been resolved. There was an issue with older GPU revisions which had slightly different bus timing, a public firmware update will follow shortly.

• Like 1