IGNORED

Does the Jaguar have the best sound chip? (for a cart based system)

leech

I don't know about anyone else, but every time I fire up my Jaguar, I am just amazed at the sound coming out of it.  Rayman for example, sounds amazing for a cartridge.  Some of the other games also sounded amazing, didn't have any sort of hissing or popping when playing digitized sounds at all either. 

Was just thinking about this for some reason.  Especially compared to systems like the Genesis/Mega Drive, or SNES.

• Like 1

I think so. I loaded up a few homebrews into my SD cart last night and while I dont remember the exact game off hand,it had some really amazing guitar playing in it. Sounded very clear,hard to believe this was coming out of a cart based system. Seriously,the system can do some amazing things,audio is one of them for sure.

11 hours ago, leech said:

I don't know about anyone else, but every time I fire up my Jaguar, I am just amazed at the sound coming out of it.  Rayman for example, sounds amazing for a cartridge.  Some of the other games also sounded amazing, didn't have any sort of hissing or popping when playing digitized sounds at all either. 

Was just thinking about this for some reason.  Especially compared to systems like the Genesis/Mega Drive, or SNES.

Not only cart. It handles QSound technology in Iron Soldier 2 CD too - it sounds very impressive with headphones!

• Like 1

Factor 5:

Let's face it. The Super NES has a soundchip, the N64 doesn't have a soundchip. That's how it is. The N64 shares its workload with the co-processor -- actually, let me rephrase that: The whole machine does it, because you can also make music with the CPU. It just seems that at the moment most people are preoccupied with pumping out cool graphics -- and that's also what most gamers want. And the more graphics you do on the N64, the less performance you have left over for sound. With the Super NES, you knew that you could do all this and then you still had a sound chip to handle the music. On the N64, sound eats up performance.

It's not like the Super NES was used to its full limits, and the same thing can be said of the PSX. The PlayStation has 24 voices -- but almost nobody uses them. You could do great stuff with the PSX soundchip. The same thing holds true for the N64. Programmers look for a common ground, and unfortunately you can see graphics very well even on the smallest TV. And that's where sound often comes too short.

Edited by Lost Dragon

On 8/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, Barone said:

It has no sound chip. 

The Nintendo GBA Game Boy Advance didn't had a dedicated sample playback did it? and  developers had to do actual sound mixing using CPU cycles..

So did it have a dedicated sound chip of it's own or just use one from earlier GB hardware to ensure  backwards compatibility?