drludos

Growing Ties

Thanks for liking the game, and it's unique / weird concept! :)

Regarding ports, I think it may actually be challenging to port it on other handhelds, such as the Game Boy or the Game Gear. It may not be obvious at first, but the game actually uses the Lynx sprite scaling features to generate the ties, allowing to have many loooooong ties on screen without any frame drop :). And it's the only retro handheld I know with such powerful features.

To do something similar on a "tile based" 8/16 bits machine, you'll have to use loads of small sprites, possibly exceeding the total number of sprites the machine can handle (40 for the Game Boy, and 64 for the Game Gear).

I'm not familiar with Atari 8 bit platforms though, so I don't know if it could be done or not on them :).

And for modern platform like the Switch, I think you need to be an actual game studio to get a devkit from Nintendo (sadly - it would be cool to be able to make Switch or PS4 homebrews like we can do for retro platforms). But yeah, considering the screen size, I think you could even make a multiplayer version on the Switch, with multiple "tie-o-matic" machines competing for customers! ;)

Edited by drludos
  • Like 3

Atari 8 has natively vertical sprites of arbitrary height so it can be done there :)

Game Boy Advance has sprite scaling and I consider it essentially the last retro handheld (contrary to it's successor - NDS - which has some OS like firmware with 3D hardware, wifi support etc (although games can be created the same way on both)).

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the information, that's very interesting!

Atari 8-bit seems like a good candidate then, so does the GBA!

I don't have an Atari 8 bit machine (yet!), but I do have a GBA + Everdrive ;).

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:20 PM, drludos said:

I don't have an Atari 8 bit machine (yet!).

That's an omission 😉 but you don't actually need one to develop, as the Altirra emulator is near perfect and WUDSN Eclipse is a near perfect IDE for programming them in assembly, allowing for one-key assembly and testing on Altirra. The 8-bits have a 6502 as well, so apart from 65C02 specific opcodes (which are few) you could maybe use some game logic from the Lynx version. Graphics will be more challenging than on the Lynx but should be "doable" Doing 4 ties simultaneously should be rather easy as they would be a perfect fit for the Atari's missile sprites (and could be moved together as they fall with the same speed). If more are needed it might get a bit more complicated but you could still use players for up to another 4 simultaneous ties and use a character-based mode for the customers who don't seem to move sideways and not very fast. You'd also need a single-button control scheme, but that could probably done by 1st-push-start, 2nd-push-clip.

Hi everyone !

It's been a long time, but since the release of the game in 2019, I've been working hard on creating a "deluxe" version. I've added new levels, new games modes, and polished the overall game experience. I've also included 3 bonus games on the cartridge: Timeloop, Fishing for Atari, and Gift Catcher.

GrowingTiesDeluxe_title.png.af7c05d8ceba9605f5c168a3123da6f8.png

This game should be published on cartridge in a fully featured boxed edition, hopefully by the end of 2021.

Meanwhile, the first beta version of the game is available right now for people who support me on Patreon: https://patreon.com/posts/47298674

• Like 8

18 hours ago, drludos said:

Hi everyone !

It's been a long time, but since the release of the game in 2019, I've been working hard on creating a "deluxe" version. I've added new levels, new games modes, and polished the overall game experience. I've also included 3 bonus games on the cartridge: Timeloop, Fishing for Atari, and Gift Catcher.

GrowingTiesDeluxe_title.png.af7c05d8ceba9605f5c168a3123da6f8.png

This game should be published on cartridge in a fully featured boxed edition, hopefully by the end of 2021.

Meanwhile, the first beta version of the game is available right now for people who support me on Patreon: https://patreon.com/posts/47298674

That's awesome!  Day One order for me.

• Like 1

Really cool. Looking forward to the new release and the physical one as well. Nice to see the bonus games are going to be included!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, drludos said:

Really great collection of small fun games! :) :thumbsup:

• Like 1