IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

K, so I have a serious question for those of you working on this, since you probably know the game inside and out.

I used to play Jag Doom religiously.  For whatever reason, this version lets the rocket launcher's area of effect damage enemies through the walls.  There's a part of the Containment Area, map 10 in the Jag port, where you can shoot the rockets at the wall and hear demons being hit on the other side of the wall...but there isn't anything on the other side, at least, not that you can access in Jag Doom. 

I'm assuming the demons are the Lost Souls in the secret room off of the hallway with the crushing ceilings, all of which was in the PC version but is not accessible in the Jag port.  Is this correct?  And can you programming wizards find a way to access that room in the Jag port?  Are there other areas in Jag Doom that were cut off from the accessible map, but not removed entirely? 

The photo I've attached shows the area where you need to fire the rockets (marked with a big yellow arrow).

20200328_202518.jpg

12 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

There's a part of the Containment Area, map 10 in the Jag port, where you can shoot the rockets at the wall and hear demons being hit on the other side of the wall...but there isn't anything on the other side, at least, not that you can access in Jag Doom. 

I'm assuming the demons are the Lost Souls in the secret room off of the hallway with the crushing ceilings, all of which was in the PC version but is not accessible in the Jag port.  Is this correct?  And can you programming wizards find a way to access that room in the Jag port?  Are there other areas in Jag Doom that were cut off from the accessible map, but not removed entirely? 

That's correct, they're Lost Souls and inaccessible. In the 32X version too iirc. I read about it a while back and 'fixed' a version of the map removing the room and enemies altogether. No more nuking the wall to get 100% kills.

Here's a shot of the final version:

10.thumb.jpg.6812a4a6ff1ed221173a778e8742e3a5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Um. I wasn't asking you to design the game around a cart. But thanks for the civil response.

There are certain individuals who actualy do design the games around the carts, so it wasn't an off the cuff uncivil response. There are also idiots who think this is a good idea :)

Anyway, no idea as to carts, the contents are more important.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

I mean I'm okay with Doom.  It's not Marathon, but it's alright.  ?

You know, I never played Marathon.  I should hunt that down and try it out.  :)

Great collection of Doom items, thank you for sharing!  Do you have a favorite Doom game between all those?  I assume you have played every iteration of Doom at this point.  I do see Doom Eternal for the PS4, but I don't see the 2016 Doom.  What is this?

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 6.51.57 PM.png

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Great collection of Doom items, thank you for sharing!  Do you have a favorite Doom game between all those?  I assume you have played every iteration of Doom at this point.  I do see Doom Eternal for the PS4, but I don't see the 2016 Doom.  What is this?

..Al

it's 2016 reversible cover, he also has the collector's edition on xbox

Edited by DoTheMath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DoTheMath said:

it's 2016 reversible cover, he also has the collector's edition on xbox

Thank you!  Interesting that they made a reversible cover.  I saw the blue case and figured it was for the PS4, but I didn't want to assume.  I picked up Doom: Eternal for the PC, as I much prefer playing first person shooters using a mouse and keyboard.  However, I'm going to start playing DOOM from the very beginning and work through everything until I get to Doom: Eternal (which I did play for several hours and it's pretty damn cool).

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 7.00.30 PM.png

I think that will cover everything (or just about), as Doom 3 also contains Doom and Doom II.  And I made sure to get Doom 64.  :D

..Al

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thank you!  Interesting that they made a reversible cover.  I saw the blue case and figured it was for the PS4, but I didn't want to assume.  I picked up Doom: Eternal for the PC, as I much prefer playing first person shooters using a mouse and keyboard.  However, I'm going to start playing DOOM from the very beginning and work through everything until I get to Doom: Eternal (which I did play for several hours and it's pretty damn cool).

I think that will cover everything (or just about), as Doom 3 also contains Doom and Doom II.  And I made sure to get Doom 64.  :D

..Al

That recent port of Doom64 is very good. It's pretty accurate and well made i think. I'm replaying them myself and was starting with the ps1 versions of doom 1,2 and final because it has a similar dark ambient soundtrack and the sounds are the same as Doom64.(same composer)

Edited by DoTheMath

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

I ended up playing through the Brutal Doom64 very recently.  It was pretty awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

..Al

Yep, that's just the stock Doom 2016 on PS4, with the cover reversed.  I vastly prefer this art over the generic stock cover art.

I don't know if I have one single favorite.  SNES Doom is the first one I played.  It's a technical marvel, and is the most faithful of the early ports in terms of level design, and in enemies and items included.  People tend to hate on it, and I love to root for the underdog, so I give that one bonus points.

I've also spent a ton of time with JagDoom.  It was the first one I owned, and I scoured every level for hours.  I.  Cannot.  Wait.  for this Slayer Edition.

Right now I'm loving the PS4 ports.  They run silky-smooth (though they had a lot of issues before they got some updates, I'm told).  And I'm hooked on Eternal.  It's super tough, but fun as hell.

Also, Marathon is fantastic.  For such an early FPS, it was really innovative and had an intricate story with highly complex characters.  The entire trilogy is also free to play on PC via AlephOne (google it).  Seriously...if you enjoy early FPSes, Marathon is like the hidden gem you need in your life.  If you didn't know, it's the trilogy Bungie made right before Halo, and the two franchises share some DNA.  But Marathon is better.  ?

Sorry for writing a book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

There are certain individuals who actualy do design the games around the carts, so it wasn't an off the cuff uncivil response. There are also idiots who think this is a good idea :)

Anyway, no idea as to carts, the contents are more important.

Don't forget awesome box art, translucent coloured shells, and for the super duper ballz-out editions, a comic book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Don't forget awesome box art, translucent coloured shells, and for the super duper ballz-out editions, a comic book.

sm02.png

It's official canon in Doom Eternal...

I'm Serious!!

Edited by MrMaddog
Grammer edit

9 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Thanks for being that guy, without actually being that guy.  (Is there really a Nuon port?)  ?

Yeah (unofficial though).  The "slack much" was very much meant in jest, sorry if it didn't come across that way.

The story I remember about the Nuon port, is a worker at VM Labs did the port in a weekend as proof of concept of how easily the system could be coded.  I'm not sure how well it ran or even if I ever got it working on my N-501.  Anyhow, here's a link with information if you are interested.  http://www.nuon-dome.com/doom.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Yep, that's just the stock Doom 2016 on PS4, with the cover reversed.  I vastly prefer this art over the generic stock cover art.

I don't know if I have one single favorite.  SNES Doom is the first one I played.  It's a technical marvel, and is the most faithful of the early ports in terms of level design, and in enemies and items included.  People tend to hate on it, and I love to root for the underdog, so I give that one bonus points.

I've also spent a ton of time with JagDoom.  It was the first one I owned, and I scoured every level for hours.  I.  Cannot.  Wait.  for this Slayer Edition.

Right now I'm loving the PS4 ports.  They run silky-smooth (though they had a lot of issues before they got some updates, I'm told).  And I'm hooked on Eternal.  It's super tough, but fun as hell.

Also, Marathon is fantastic.  For such an early FPS, it was really innovative and had an intricate story with highly complex characters.  The entire trilogy is also free to play on PC via AlephOne (google it).  Seriously...if you enjoy early FPSes, Marathon is like the hidden gem you need in your life.  If you didn't know, it's the trilogy Bungie made right before Halo, and the two franchises share some DNA.  But Marathon is better.  ?

Sorry for writing a book.

My first experience was on jag too, i remember sitting in front of my tv wondering what was happening, it felt so real. Before this one i only played video games to kill time and while i was addicted to sonic it didn't feel as personal. Doom was my first fps experience and quickly became an obsession i played it religiously for hours every day after school for more than a year. Weekends with my pal was Doom on pc. Fun times...

I concur on the ps4 ports, the last updates really made these a must have. Doom Eternal's art direction feels like home and it has some really good maps too.

Marathon never clicked for me but i might retry one of these days, it really is a well designed game objectively.
Don't feel sorry for "writing a book" lol. This thread is great.

• Like 1