IGNORED

My pampered Intellivision and it's violent death

Blarneo

This is going to sound like a Toy Story plot line about when kids grow up & abandon toys, but I'll make it short. 

So In 1981, I hoarded my allowance, lawn mowing money, babysitting cash and all I could to afford the $250 price tag for an Intellivision. Frog Bog was what My Mom bought along with me getting Sub Hunt or Astrosmash (can't remember exactly) along with it. I babied that thing. I had this plastic storage box made my Imagic that fit it perfectly. I panicked when my mom would pull the controller cord & drag the console closer to her so she could lounge and complain that "This controller doesn't work! It cheats!" ? Through high school, it gave me lots of enjoyment for me & my friends and my little sister. 

Then I joined the Army out of HS, and left it at home. My sister grew older to 8-11 years old & played with it along with her friends while I was gone. The console was in perfect condition when I got home. I hung about for a year or so & my sister & I enjoyed it.

Then I went to college in 1987. It still worked like a charm. I gave it to my sister, cause I knew she would take care of it. 

I acquired 3 tween and under 10 step brothers during that time & while they had a Nintendo NES, they commenced to abuse and destroy my Intellivision. Ripped the controllers out of the console, broke into and lost a couple of cartridge circuit boards & rip off the bronze metal sticker. My mom threw it out while I was away and I never saw it or my 15 games for it again.

I wish I had taken it with me.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

12 minutes ago, Blarneo said:

This is going to sound like a Toy Story plot line about when kids grow up & abandon toys, but I'll make it short. 

So In 1981, I hoarded my allowance, lawn mowing money, babysitting cash and all I could to afford the $250 price tag for an Intellivision. Frog Bog was what My Mom bought along with me getting Sub Hunt or Astrosmash (can't remember exactly) along with it. I babied that thing. I had this plastic storage box made my Imagic that fit it perfectly. I panicked when my mom would pull the controller cord & drag the console closer to her so she could lounge and complain that "This controller doesn't work! It cheats!" ? Through high school, it gave me lots of enjoyment for me & my friends and my little sister. 

Then I joined the Army out of HS, and left it at home. My sister grew older to 8-11 years old & played with it along with her friends while I was gone. The console was in perfect condition when I got home. I hung about for a year or so & my sister & I enjoyed it.

Then I went to college in 1987. It still worked like a charm. I gave it to my sister, cause I knew she would take care of it. 

I acquired 3 tween and under 10 step brothers during that time & while they had a Nintendo NES, they commenced to abuse and destroy my Intellivision. Ripped the controllers out of the console, broke into and lost a couple of cartridge circuit boards & rip off the bronze metal sticker. My mom threw it out while I was away and I never saw it or my 15 games for it again.

Ouch, that sucks.  But hopefully you have one to play with now?

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Ouch, that sucks.  But hopefully you have one to play with now?

Sadly no. But I'm buying 2 Amicos. One for me & one for my sister.

I sold my NES for a Sega Genesis & after that, I never gave another game system away. They're all up in my closet with the Dreamcast still hooked up to a bedroom TV.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blarneo said:

Sadly no. But I'm buying 2 Amicos. One for me & one for my sister.

I sold my NES for a Sega Genesis & after that, I never gave another game system away. They're all up in my closet with the Dreamcast still hooked up to a bedroom TV.

Ok.  Well...get on eBay and get one!  You wont be able to play all the classic games on Amico, only a few, but most will be new updates.

30 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Ok.  Well...get on eBay and get one!  You wont be able to play all the classic games on Amico, only a few, but most will be new updates.

Is it cheap to collect for? I saw a math fun for $200 smackers!

Is this any good? I have a working GC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-Lives-Nintendo-GameCube-2004-GameCube-Game-CIB-Complete/293186034721?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D59445%26meid%3D4d3999c0a4a048bab9a334e1a6ae78e4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D302761913994%26itm%3D293186034721%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blarneo said:

It’s not bad. Some games are expensive because they are rare. But you can build a nice collection without breaking the bank.

I wouldn’t go with Intelivision Lives because it’s better to play with the original controllers for most of the games. 

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

You wont be able to play all the classic games on Amico, only a few, but most will be new updates.

Amico will have a legacy side that will run Joe Z's JzIntv emulator.  Our goal is to make ALL the original games available (there may be a few with licensing issues, but ideally, the entire original '125' library will be playable on the console).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Blarneo said:

Have you considered legal action against them? ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blarneo said:

If you're considering getting an original system and games again, I would highly recommend asking here as I'm sure there are tons of Inty nuts here who have lots of extras they'd love to sell for very reasonable rates. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nurmix said:

Amico will have a legacy side that will run Joe Z's JzIntv emulator.  Our goal is to make ALL the original games available (there may be a few with licensing issues, but ideally, the entire original '125' library will be playable on the console).

Well that is great to hear! Thank you for that news, unless that was already announced at some point earlier Lol. 

6 hours ago, nurmix said:

Also, what about all the great homebrews, like Christmas Carol, would they be available to play on the legacy side too?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

It’s not bad. Some games are expensive because they are rare. But you can build a nice collection without breaking the bank.

I wouldn’t go with Intelivision Lives because it’s better to play with the original controllers for most of the games. 

I had the X-Box version and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like is some games you had to set up the controller to set up the buttons the way you wanted, and that got old real quick. But it's a great collection of games, it had an interactive interface that was a pizza restaurant, where you went to different parts of the room to go to the games, the history, some extras (including commercials IIRC, and the My Intellivision video, etc.) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, squirrelgotdead said:

I had the X-Box version and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like is some games you had to set up the controller to set up the buttons the way you wanted, and that got old real quick. But it's a great collection of games, it had an interactive interface that was a pizza restaurant, where you went to different parts of the room to go to the games, the history, some extras (including commercials IIRC, and the My Intellivision video, etc.) 

It does sound cool, not saying the game is bad, I just prefer playing the games on original hardware. Traditionalist I guess. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nurmix said:

Oh Cool! How about the old Imagic games? Are there issues with them?

14 hours ago, Blarneo said:

I'm buying 2 Amicos. One for me & one for my sister.

That's really cool. It sounds like there's a large age gap between you and your sister. I have two sons almost 12 years apart (with a daughter in the middle) and they are best of friends. I'm glad you're still close and love this part of the story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cvga said:

That's really cool. It sounds like there's a large age gap between you and your sister. I have two sons almost 12 years apart (with a daughter in the middle) and they are best of friends. I'm glad you're still close and love this part of the story.

10 years with us. She's 43 now, so yeah Tommy Tallarico! Guys in their 50s still buy game systems. ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blarneo said:

I think this example shows the carelessness and mentality that goes along with the modern gamer. No wonder violence and videogames go together. I mean they ripped apart an intv cart. Those are pretty tough. Savages!

8 hours ago, cmart604 said:

Have you considered legal action against them? ?

Can't imagine what basis there'd be especially for a console worth only a couple a hundreds at best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I think this example shows the carelessness and mentality that goes along with the modern gamer. No wonder violence and videogames go together. I mean they ripped apart an intv cart. Those are pretty tough. Savages!

Can't imagine what basis there'd be especially for a console worth only a couple a hundreds at best.

That's what my sister told me. I'm sure they took a screwdriver to it pried it open or something like that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keatah said:

? But the mental anguish could be priced in the millions! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2