IGNORED

Atari Light Gun Help

turbofly

Hey everybody, 

Some time ago was lucky enough to get my hands on an Atari XE Game System.  I cleaned it up and everything worked great, with the exception of the light gun.  First I thought the problem was the gun, but I tested it with Crossbow on my 7800 and it worked fine.  Then I thought maybe there's a problem with my Bug Hunt cart.  I later got a copy of Barnyard Blaster for the XE and it still didn't work.  So now I figure that the problem must be with the XE itself.  Has anybody here had any issues with using the light gun on their XE, and if so did you figure out the issue?  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Mathy, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm confident that the gun is working fine though, as it works with my Atari 7800, just not with my XE.  Anything is worth a try though at this point.

Kheller2, thanks for checking I know some people try to use light guns on LCD TVs, but I did have the XE connected to a CRT TV when trying to use the light gun.  It's a JVC D-series, AV-32D501.

hardware testing is for the XE not necessarily the light gun itself, it may ferret out an issue preventing the gun from working... 

the XE might have a POKEY  problem or other issue... even a power issue.. lots to check...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Curious if you peek the values of the lightpen memory locations with the gun pointed at the screen, ie:

5 GRAPHICS 0:POKE 710,15:POKE 712,15:POKE 709,0
10 POKE 53277,0:POKE 53277,4
20 PEN=PEEK(53264):H=PEEK(564):V=PEEK(565)
30 PRINT H,V,PEN
40 GOTO 10

( I modified the small BASIC program from here: https://www.atarimagazines.com/v3n1/lightpen.html )

• Like 1