IGNORED

Bug Attack

Wally1

40 minutes ago, Wally1 said:

i stand gladly corrected.

er actually i am sitting right now

?

Don't be sad - now you have a bunch more games to try out :)

Also, if you want to try a cool demo, there was a "stereo" song, I believe it was Yesterday bu The Beatles.  It blanked the screen, had darkish green background.  One channel of music played through the internal speaker, and the regular sound came from the TV.  Awesome when I heard that, one of my earlier 300 baud downloaded BBS demos.

Hi,

Bug Attack is one of the games I still regularly play (along with Bandits), does it use hi-res graphics instead of character sets? I've always been impressed with just how fast the graphics are, as opposed to Bandits which has noticable slow downs when things get busy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

And to think that sound is coming from the GTIA - a "Graphics" chip. ?

This is why I love the Atari 8-bit computers.  The graphics chip can make awesome music.  The sound chip can perfectly synch video to the TV raster.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This is why I love the Atari 8-bit computers.  The graphics chip can make awesome music.  The sound chip can perfectly synch video to the TV raster.

LoOoOoL !

Yeah, like these rock-bands where the drummer can also play the keyboard, the keyboard-lead can plays the bass, the bass-lead also plays guitar and conga, and the lead-singer can play them all... they just happen to focus on one specialty... 

:-)))

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Not music, but Whomper Stomper (1984) would TALK through the 400/800 console speaker.

Various Ultima's used it for sound effects, but the music would play from POKEY.

What's odd is that... Atarimania's copy DOES NOT modulate voice over GTIA audio channel.... 

That means more than one version exists...

44 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

What's odd is that... Atarimania's copy DOES NOT modulate voice over GTIA audio channel.... 

That means more than one version exists...

Well, you know... I very well could be remembering wrong... To be honest I haven't actually booted up a 400/800 for many decades. Time for me to get this 400 into action again. Sorry for the mis-statement, and thanks for the fact check!

25 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Well, you know... I very well could be remembering wrong... To be honest I haven't actually booted up a 400/800 for many decades. Time for me to get this 400 into action again. Sorry for the mis-statement, and thanks for the fact check!

Well, in all fairness, I really don't know (!)

I did not that game on my radar, but now I do (thanks!)... There is good work behind its gfx. presentation.

I actually went ahead and searched (and binary-compared) all versions I could find (Holmes, Fandal, Atarimania) and to my surprise they are all binary-identical (!)  HOWEVER, that still does not discard other possible versions, because (according) to Atarimania, the original is a DISK, not an .XEX as all repositories currently hold...

Let's hope the original appears, some day...

Bug Attack is one of the games I still regularly play (along with Bandits), does it use hi-res graphics instead of character sets? I've always been impressed with just how fast the graphics are, as opposed to Bandits which has noticable slow downs when things get busy.

I remember the decomposing of the mushrooms and stuff, finely done.  My guess is that it uses hi-res graphics.

23 hours ago, Faicuai said:

LoOoOoL !

Yeah, like these rock-bands where the drummer can also play the keyboard, the keyboard-lead can plays the bass, the bass-lead also plays guitar and conga, and the lead-singer can play them all... they just happen to focus on one specialty... 

:-)))

The CPU can do graphics, GTIA can do keyboard (function keys), pokey does disk IO, keyboard and sound... This is a real mish-mash band!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, Wally1 said:

So then what do you like to compute with?

I have a half dozen each of various XL's and XE's and of course some 'exotic' disk drives :P with a long to-do list of cleaning and upgrading, but finally acquired a 400 last year. It also has upgrades planned. :)