IGNORED

Max RAM amount allowed in a stock 800?

Colleton

I received an early production (3-16-82) 800 today with a cased OS board, a cased 16K RAM board, and an uncased Mosaic 32K RAM board.  I'm assuming that the computer originally shipped with 16K of RAM and the Mosaic board was added later.  Sadly, the cased 16K board was bad, causing the machine not to boot, so I've removed it from the system.

My question, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer, is with the Mosaic board installed can I install two 16K boards and have 64K of useable RAM?  Or does the 800 OS not support 64K?  I'm thinking it does not, but thought I'd check to be sure.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Colleton said:

I received an early production (3-16-82) 800 today with a cased OS board, a cased 16K RAM board, and an uncased Mosaic 32K RAM board.  I'm assuming that the computer originally shipped with 16K of RAM and the Mosaic board was added later.  Sadly, the cased 16K board was bad, causing the machine not to boot, so I've removed it from the system.

My question, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer, is with the Mosaic board installed can I install two 16K boards and have 64K of usable RAM?  Or does the 800 OS not support 64K?  I'm thinking it does not, but thought I'd check to be sure.

Thanks!

The 800 OS technically supports up to 52K RAM, but generally most software will expect no more than 48K. Your best bet is to repair or replace the 16K board to get it back up to 48K and you should be able to run the majority of software.

64K was really only a 'thing' for the later XL/XE models which could disable the ROM to allow access to RAM sharing the same address locations.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Colleton said:

My question, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer, is with the Mosaic board installed can I install two 16K boards and have 64K of useable RAM?  Or does the 800 OS not support 64K?  I'm thinking it does not, but thought I'd check to be sure.

Thanks!

If you are asking LINEAR RAM (accesible without the need of "banking"), then it can do up to 64 KBytes, as long as you know what your are doing (ClausB obviously does): 

As for Banked Ram, well, it can do quite a lot... (in relative terms, that is, because 1MB is a drop-in-the-ocean, in today's standards).

might wanna look up mosaic, and axlon ram cards as well, plug and play for the most part. Max ram? well some Atari cards add up to more than was available without some cajoling, still since it was present it still counts...

You didn't need to cut the machine up to do any of the the memory configurations btw...

19 hours ago, Colleton said:

Thanks!

off topic:

Back in the day it was learned that the cases could make the 16K boards overheat and lockup up the system.  It was recommended that the boards be removed from their cases. One or magazines printed this information.

My own 800 locked up after about an hour of use.  When I did as suggested the problem was solved.  I still have the 800 and it can be on for hours without a problem.

Unfortunately, your board causing problems so quickly does not sound like an overheating issue.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

No, it isn't an overheating issue, although heat inside the case may have been what killed the chip.  I just transferred the chips (in groups of 4) on the bad card over to a known good board in a known good 800.  It ended up being a single RAM chip in the Z506 socket, 2nd from the right on the top row.

I'd like to order one, but the P/N printed on the chip isn't generating any hit on digikey.  P/N is:  HM4716AP-4.  Anyone know what P/N I should be looking for?

https://octopart.com/hm4716ap-4-hitachi-2254862

https://www.questcomp.com/part/4/hm4716ap-4/216502456?utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=industry-cpc&utm_campaign=partsearch

there are others manufacturers but the numbers are generally the same so drop the letters befor the 4716 and add the respective manufacturer letters....

MB8116E  is another number stuck in my head search that up as well

https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/8490811.html

expensive at .47 a piece... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

https://octopart.com/hm4716ap-4-hitachi-2254862

https://www.questcomp.com/part/4/hm4716ap-4/216502456?utm_source=octopart&utm_medium=industry-cpc&utm_campaign=partsearch

there are others manufacturers but the numbers are generally the same so drop the letters befor the 4716 and add the respective manufacturer letters....

MB8116E  is another number stuck in my head search that up as well

https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/8490811.html

expensive at .47 a piece... :)

Awesome, thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the MB8116E chips I'd ordered from Utsource arrived today.  Unfortunately the chips do not have the little U shaped depression at one end that you use to orient the chip in the socket.  It does have a little silver square on what would be either the top left or bottom right of the chip.  Pretty sure that it denotes pin 1, so it would be placed in the socket with the silver square in the upper left but thought I'd ask here before finding out the hard way.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

FWIW, The RAM PCB is populated with both Hitachi ( HM4716AP-4 ) and Mostek (MK4116N-3GP) DRAM chips.  I've looked at the datasheets for all three chip P/Ns and the pinouts of all three are identical.

4 minutes ago, Colleton said:

Okay, the MB8116E chips I'd ordered from Utsource arrived today.  Unfortunately the chips do not have the little U shaped depression at one end that you use to orient the chip in the socket.  It does have a little silver square on what would be either the top left or bottom right of the chip.  Pretty sure that it denotes pin 1, so it would be placed in the socket with the silver square in the upper left but thought I'd ask here before finding out the hard way.

It does.

swap chips into a known good card one at a time and you will find who's good and who's bad...

after that take all of the tested good chips and put them all in all at once....

from there you can look for damage, bad support chips, cold solder joints etc...

also remember to make sure the cards are in the proper slots on the 800 and facing the correct direction on install, while most card won't go in quite right the wrong way, you'd be surprised how some things 'made to fit' :)

Pin one is marked, the dot goes to the 'u' side you were talking of.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

EDIT:  I take that back.  I just took a known good chip from a known good board and put it in the suspect board.  Black screen.  I put one of the MB8116E  in the known good card and it worked like a champ. 

Obviously, I have something else wrong with the suspect board.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Colleton

Thanks for the help, Doc.  I found a 2nd bad RAM chip.  I would have sworn that the 7 remaining chips on the suspect board were good as I had placed a known good chip in the 8th socket during the initial troubleshooting and the board tested good at that time.  All I can think is that I killed it somehow when I was swapping chips around.

So, upside is that the original 16K board is working and installed in the 800 along with the 32K Mosaic board.  I have a spare 16K board, 7 spare DRAM chips and 5 more on the way.  I should be good on 400/800 DRAM chips pretty much forever now. /knock on wood

Thanks again for the MB8116E suggestion.  47 cents a chip is hard to beat.

• Like 5