IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

4 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Nice! Unfortunately, the sprite doesn't move with the player. So, I could barely even play the demo. But it's a good start.

I'm hoping that one of these weekends, I'll finally get a chance to learn about 7800 homebrew and actually help out with the game.

A few wuick-tips on the go for grfx:

- a 7800 pixel is 2 wide for every one pixel in height.

- use either 3 colours or 12 colours 

- keep the broad (2:1) pixels with a broadness of only 8 wide, while height in lines can be 16, 24 or 32.

For Bentley engine, use only 2 animation frames.

- post in .PNG format

You may learn a lot be studying classic 8 bit grfx from both 7800 sprite sheets, and for example C64 sprite sheets (which had same ratio but with broader sprites).

That's what I'm confused about. I know that there are some 7800 games that don't use the 2 pixel wide by 1 pixel tall method. So, what's forcing us to use that speficic graphics method?

Also, simply 2 animation frames won't do for a game as cartoon-y as Pac-Land. So, the engine's gonna need to somehow be modified to support more animation frames.

28 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

So, what's forcing us to use that specific graphics method?

Each of the 7800's graphics modes have a number of drawbacks and the 320 modes are the most restrictive. One of the biggest issues with the 320 modes is the behaviour of transparency which, unless it is disabled entirely, adds additional restrictions to how graphics can be drawn.

OK, more music.  The castle level.

Here's the setup:

AUDCTL=$71 - 15khz clock on all four, 0 and 2 clocked at 1.79 mhz, and 16-bit mode on 0 and 1

0 - silent

1- $Cx - bass, using the mod 3 technique (RMT C or Distortion 12b)

2 - $2x - bell lead, clocked at 1.79 mhz

3 - $Ax - bass overlay, clocked at 15 khz

When 15 khz mode is used, all non 1.79 mhz channels are transposed down 2 octaves.  This lets you use $Ax square wave in bass mode.

I haven't been able to silence the 0 frequencies on channel 2 yet, sadly.

Again, real hardware please.  As before, Prosystem plays it nearly flawlessly except for the high $2x notes.  A7800 - don't even atttempt, it sounds rubbish.

The attached wav is from the altirra 8-bit emulator, which is 100% correct to real hardware.

pacland-castle.A78 pacland-castle.asm pacland-castle.bin pacland-castle-450.A78 pacland-castle-450.asm pacland-castle-450.bin pacland-castle.wav

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

That's what I'm confused about. I know that there are some 7800 games that don't use the 2 pixel wide by 1 pixel tall method. So, what's forcing us to use that speficic graphics method?

Also, simply 2 animation frames won't do for a game as cartoon-y as Pac-Land. So, the engine's gonna need to somehow be modified to support more animation frames.

1) 160 mode: not ‘forced’, but it will probably increase frame-rate of game so it won’t be jerky and slow.

Often, a scrolling game uses more cpu power than a one-screen game.

Using parallaxes uses more cpu.

Lots of stuff happening on-screen at the same time eats cpu-power.

A 360 mode would probably demand much cpu power just for the high-res setting (is my guess).

2) I think we all want a PacLand as close to the Arcade as possible, but most game-developement starts by trying out demos and accumulating elements, then many processes of refinement and modifications will have to be done as we find out what we are able to get the hardware to do.

Right now we just need elements:

- pick ups

- other enemies

- background tiles

- platforms 

- backdrops (parallaxes in the arcade)

etc

We need to start and get going.

Then we can improve things as we find out more.

Edited by Giles N

22 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I'm hoping that one of these weekends, I'll finally get a chance to learn about 7800 homebrew and actually help out with the game.

Good!

Programming never does itself...

(well, neither do grfx nor sound)...

Hope you´ll dive into this...

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/archives-techdocs-7800.htm

Edited by Giles N

Please, also, do come with constructive input on my grfx.

If the engine will eventually open up for 12 colour sprites; much of what is put out here is only the initial starting process, and will then get an re-draw in 12 colour.

But constructive input is wanted!

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Are there any YouTube presentations, lectures, instruction-videos about 

doing 7800

- programming

- music

- grfx

- assembly of parts

- using engines

?

Dont think so. Reading to do thats it

What engines do you want to know about weed wacker or big diesels? 

3 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Dont think so. Reading to do thats it

What engines do you want to know about weed wacker or big diesels? 

Lols - more like the Bentley-engine or any other engine extracted from the time of official releases.

I know the source code for Desert Falcon is available.

Edited by Giles N

On 10/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, Jinks said:

After building a ffr cobra with my brother which was his dream car in the late 80s. Spending over 75k in parts and building it all without anyones help. People say things like" oh its a kit?" Or "why did you use those gears?" There will always people ignorant people that know nothing of any subject. 

It seems programmers can find people to help as they have the inner circle groups. 

Maybe a thread on art, sound, level design would be good. Where people showcase their work and ideas and maybe programmer looking for.... then the best for each project could come together.  Maybe a game development resource topic. 

This sounds like a great idea and that is where I was going with my post! I would be willing to help as much as I could I can not program but I could put some coin in for EPROMS, Carts and could try my hand at label printing! I know the process of loading a Eprom that could also be done by several people, I think a game development resource group would be a great Idea!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

Overall a good port of the castle theme, even very good - but it was a some sharpness or high frequencies that seemed a bit annoying on the ears.

Was it only how it came across on my iphone?

It's because I use zeroes for note rests, but on the $2x lead channel, this produces an audible ringing tone.  Still working out how to silence that.  It's not an issue with the normal $Ax channels because the zeroes are inaudible.  And on the $Cx channels, a value of $0E (14) produces silence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

It's because I use zeroes for note rests, but on the $2x lead channel, this produces an audible ringing tone.  Still working out how to silence that.  It's not an issue with the normal $Ax channels because the zeroes are inaudible.  And on the $Cx channels, a value of $0E (14) produces silence.

You’re on it!

And the theme in itself (aside from the slight ringing) was very good port of the castle theme!

On 10/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, dodge ramman said:

This sounds like a great idea and that is where I was going with my post! I would be willing to help as much as I could I can not program but I could put some coin in for EPROMS, Carts and could try my hand at label printing! I know the process of loading a Eprom that could also be done by several people, I think a game development resource group would be a great Idea!

All hands are welcome!