IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

Been away from the Forums for a bit, but just wanted to say that i LOVE this idea, and PacLand is absolutely a GREAT idea for a 7800 port. I will be among the first to purchase this title when it becomes a reality!

Just a thought - would the Scrapyard Dog engine maybe be a better template for this game though? I have no idea how this works, so not even sure that there is any way to obtain that source code. (Whereas obviously Bentley Bear there is potentially community access too.)

Anyway, best of luck and continued success with this eagerly anticipated project!!!

pac land.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaron1677 said:

Been away from the Forums for a bit, but just wanted to say that i LOVE this idea, and PacLand is absolutely a GREAT idea for a 7800 port. I will be among the first to purchase this title when it becomes a reality!

Just a thought - would the Scrapyard Dog engine maybe be a better template for this game though? I have no idea how this works, so not even sure that there is any way to obtain that source code. (Whereas obviously Bentley Bear there is potentially community access too.)

Anyway, best of luck and continued success with this eagerly anticipated project!!!

pac land.jpg

Thank you for your kind input!

I think the (brilliant) bentley bear engine is the best one as it includes parallax effects.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

pac land.jpg

Do you have any skills in

- doing graphics

- sound

- programming

- level-layout?

—-

just asking

?

On 3/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, Giles N said:

I’m actually a bit unsure how to start with (background)tiles...

Input is welcome.

Hi Giles

i put in the Jumping sprites...they look really good.

I post a new file tomorrow.

Background tiles must be 8x16....not like sprites(8x32)

But i can put this tiles together to a bigger one

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Giles N said:

Do you have any skills in

- doing graphics

- sound

- programming

- level-layout?

—-

just asking

?

So - I am a professional graphic designer that very well versed in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects & Premiere. I have literally never worked on a homebrew, but if it involves creating pixel or raster based assets in Photoshop and/or Illustrator, I can DEFINITELY help!!! And would also love to, as I feel like after Crystal Quest, the platforming library on the 7800 is severely lacking! Let me know if I can be of assistance...

3 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

So - I am a professional graphic designer that very well versed in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects & Premiere. I have literally never worked on a homebrew, but if it involves creating pixel or raster based assets in Photoshop and/or Illustrator, I can DEFINITELY help!!! And would also love to, as I feel like after Crystal Quest, the platforming library on the 7800 is severely lacking! Let me know if I can be of assistance...

You’re most welcome!!

Edited by Giles N

3 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

So - I am a professional graphic designer that very well versed in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects & Premiere. I have literally never worked on a homebrew, but if it involves creating pixel or raster based assets in Photoshop and/or Illustrator, I can DEFINITELY help!!!

Let me know if I can be of assistance...

Excellent!!

Just dive into it!!

If you’re a pro graphic designer; nothing is more welcome (!!!)

[besides musicians ‘n programmers]!!!

• Like 1

Hi Giles

here is the newest file...first Level is playable...i made it not too hard.CLYDE is the enemy at the end.He is a Little bit harder to beat.

Before we go to drawing tiles.....i could Need some more enemies....feel free to create whatever you want.We make a PACLAND fangame...not

the original...so you can add any kind of  enemy.The tile section will be the heaviest,cause it will Need a lot of time and tests....so we should go

step by step.....Feel free to create tiles...i will add them from time to time.

paclandx.a78

8 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Giles

here is the newest file...first Level is playable...i made it not too hard.CLYDE is the enemy at the end.He is a Little bit harder to beat.

Before we go to drawing tiles.....i could Need some more enemies....feel free to create whatever you want.We make a PACLAND fangame...not

the original...so you can add any kind of  enemy.The tile section will be the heaviest,cause it will Need a lot of time and tests....so we should go

step by step.....Feel free to create tiles...i will add them from time to time.

paclandx.a78 144.13 kB · 4 downloads

I played this first level on OpenEMU. Does the “run” function not work properly? Buggy? It did work the first time I played then just stopped. I tried remapping, no luck. Then I deleted the file & reloaded. Still not working. Have you run into this at all?

35 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

I played this first level on OpenEMU. Does the “run” function not work properly? Buggy? It did work the first time I played then just stopped. I tried remapping, no luck. Then I deleted the file & reloaded. Still not working. Have you run into this at all?

works fine on the Prosystem emu and on real hardware

41 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

Ensure the difficulty switches are set and emulated properly.  The Player 1/Left Difficulty Switch should be set to the Right, ensuring properly function of two button support.

The Player 2/Right Difficulty Switch determines button assignment for either 'Run & Fire' or 'Jump', accordingly.

Set to the Right: Button 1 = Jump || Button 2 = Run & Fire

Set to the Left: Button 1 = Run & Fire || Button 2 = Jump

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Ensure the difficulty switches are set and emulated properly.  The Player 1/Left Difficulty Switch should be set to the Right, ensuring properly function of two button support.

The Player 2/Right Difficulty Switch determines button assignment for either 'Run & Fire' or 'Jump', accordingly.

Set to the Right: Button 1 = Jump || Button 2 = Run & Fire

Set to the Left: Button 1 = Run & Fire || Button 2 = Jump

This was the problem. It works fine now. Thank you!

• Like 1

I am eager to help create 

15 hours ago, Giles N said:

Excellent!!

Just dive into it!!

If you’re a pro graphic designer; nothing is more welcome (!!!)

[besides musicians ‘n programmers]!!!

I'd love to help create some graphics for this game.

I can help with creating pixel (raster) or vector based assets, backgrounds, etc....however I've never done any work on a homebrew before. What format is used? What sort of specifications can you give me? Let me know the parameters, and I'm sure I can do what needs to be done to make this game look incredible!

4 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

I am eager to help create 

I'd love to help create some graphics for this game.

I can help with creating pixel (raster) or vector based assets, backgrounds, etc....however I've never done any work on a homebrew before. What format is used? What sort of specifications can you give me? Let me know the parameters, and I'm sure I can do what needs to be done to make this game look incredible!

.PNG 

.GIF

for sprites (moving objects and collectables), which need to be limited to a certain 2:1 ratio width of 8 pixels wide x 24 or 32 pixel

high.

In width any 1 pixel

will be doubled; which is why one must ‘think’ or ‘draw’ like this:

PNG-bilde 39.png

Becoming this:

IMG_0912.JPG

Edited by Giles N