IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

ok, here is spritesheet 1.1

I think that covers all the enemies ? I had a lot of fun, trying to squeeze them in..  I love the little guys !!

It's amazing how much work I've managed to put in all my projects while being home-bound..  :D

Can you give me specs for the boss enemy ?

Pacland.Spritesheet-1.1.thumb.gif.197d2dcc121db930d82340af60882284.gif

?

• Like 7

23 hours ago, gambler172 said:

looks good....will try to add it in a later level

Could you do a smaller house,which i can use

as background?

Sure no problem. This house model is actually the smallest one in the first level (aside from the "Church" at the end), so I just re-did it at a smaller size, still within the 48x32 canvas, but about half the actual size. Here's the actual .png file as well as a screenshot to show detail. 

PacLand_house2_smaller_48x32_72dpi.png

screenshot_house 2_smaller.png

Edited by aaron1677
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Here's what I have so far!

HAHA I love it !

I see we need a shooting frame, a jumping frame, also a dying sequence !

I'm still waiting for the boss dimensions, to work something out.

Edited by TIX

4 hours ago, TIX said:

HAHA I love it !

The Pac Sprite looks good...but for some reason,i want to use Giles Pacman,maybe with

some changes.Cause Giles was the ONE,who started the whole thing.And yes,a death sequence would be good.

About the boss.....it should have same size,like big Berthilda from Bentley.

10 hours ago, TIX said:

HAHA I love it !

Hi Tix

your enemies are great.....added some in my new version....new version tomorrow.

Boss enemy can have 16x64

@Jaden (JRH)

@gambler172

Question for either of you - is it possible to get the houses in the BG to be much larger, like in the screenshots attached? Do I need to slice them up and send in pieces? Let me know, and I will be more than happy to create more backgrounds of houses, hills, trees....whatever is in the game.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 11.41.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 11.42.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 11.42.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 11.42.58 AM.png

1 minute ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

You could probably make the background elements much bigger. Everything in the Bentley editor is already in small tiles. So, I think if you just make enough tiles, the stuff in the background can be as big as you want it to be.

Ok great! What are the dimensions for the background tiles? I'm just creating PNG files in Photoshop.

6 hours ago, gambler172 said:

The Pac Sprite looks good...but for some reason,i want to use Giles Pacman,maybe with

some changes.Cause Giles was the ONE,who started the whole thing.And yes,a death sequence would be good.

About the boss.....it should have same size,like big Berthilda from Bentley.

Personally, I think that Giles starting the project isn't a good reason to use his Pac-Man sprites. His sprites simply lack detail and character and Pac-Man's limbs are very lanky and strange. TIX's sprites are great and much more like the arcade game. However, I think another problem is that the Bentley characters are very thin, while Pac-Land's characters are very large and defined. The Bentley editor is a great place to start with this project. However, I think working towards larger sprites and making the game overall feel more like the arcade game is what the goal should be. I'm not really in favor of adding bosses to the game either. I'm more interested in just a straight port, personally. But that's just what I think.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

@Jaden (JRH)

@gambler172

Question for either of you - is it possible to get the houses in the BG to be much larger, like in the screenshots attached? Do I need to slice them up and send in pieces? Let me know, and I will be more than happy to create more backgrounds of houses, hills, trees....whatever is in the game.

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

@Jaden (JRH)

@gambler172

Thanks!

Hi Aaron

maybe i could make such a big house,but the

tiles in each level are limited.Some of the tiles are massive,this means you can walk or jump on them or running against them.

Some are only background,this means you can see

them,but you cannot touch them...other tiles are 

used for the exit...this means,if you touch them,

you get to the next level.

And if i use too much tiles,to create a big object,

i have no more left for other things.

This is,why i prefer smaller objects.

Edited by gambler172

3 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Personally, I think that Giles starting the project isn't a good reason to use his Pac-Man sprites. His sprites simply lack detail and character and Pac-Man's limbs are very lanky and strange. TIX's sprites are great and much more like the arcade game. However, I think another problem is that the Bentley characters are very thin, while Pac-Land's characters are very large and defined. The Bentley editor is a great place to start with this project. However, I think working towards larger sprites and making the game overall feel more like the arcade game is what the goal should be. I'm not really in favor of adding bosses to the game either. I'm more interested in just a straight port, personally. But that's just what I think.

Hi Jaden

i would like to get an answer about this from Giles.

For sure Tix's Pacman looks well.

The size of the sprites is limited,so bigger sprites

are not possible 8x32 is standard

16x64 is Boss size.

To be honest...i never liked Pacland in the arcade halls......it ate my money too much.And i did not like the Pacman sprite.

With the editor,we never get the arcade game,but

we can get a good Jumpnrun in Pacland style.

When we have all enemies and background,it

will be horrible to make the gameplay not too easy

and not too heavy....i must find something in the 

middle....but this is a long way.

I agree with this. ?

The Pac Man sprite that Tix did is great! And I think the idea of making it a straight port is the way to go. The 7800 can do a great job of porting PacLand! 

Did Bob change the engine code to allow for scrolling in the opposite direction?

The background tiles are 8 by 16 pixels. However, each pixel is twice as wide as it is tall. That's about all I know there,

Thanks! Ok, so based on this information, here is the original "home" Pac house that I did before, but 50% "thinner" to account for the squishing that happened to my first house. I'm hoping that this will now look closer to the way it should in game:

@gambler172

@Jaden (JRH)

PacLand_house1_thinner_48x32_72dpi.png

Screen Shot PacLand_house1_thinner_48x32_72dpi.png

• Like 1

Is it possible to alter the game so that the various objects (rocks, hydrants, etc) are not harmfull to pacman ?

I mean in the arcade he can even walk over enemies unharmed, and now a kiss from the misses sends him to his grave  :P

3 hours ago, aaron1677 said:

@gambler172

Thanks!

Aaron, the way to go for backgrounds should be the following:

first find the maps of the game, here I found the maps from the Spectrum version: https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=Pac-Land

then we adjust the size of each stage to our editors specs,

and lastly split it in 8x16 tiles and try to fit the most content in the limited number of tiles we have available ;)

most things like ground, trees, .. are made by a couple of repeated tiles, so we should have the space to add some good looking houses or whatever comes next !

edit: I just had a quick look in the editor, the level size is 192x11 tiles that makes it 1536x176 pixels

so here is the first level in a dimension we can use:

1st.thumb.png.5c7db146916db573d8d90e7d2c9ed37a.png

the guys must tell us how many unique tiles we have available per level..

Edited by TIX

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Is it possible to alter the game so that the various objects (rocks, hydrants, etc) are not harmfull to pacman ?

I mean in the arcade he can even walk over enemies unharmed, and now a kiss from the misses sends him to his grave  :P

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. In the arcade game, Pac-Man can actually push certain objects to reveal secrets, like giving him a baseball cap that protects him from ghosts above. And I don't know if pushing objects is possible in the Bentley engine.

8 hours ago, TIX said:

Hi Tix

i could use tiles,which do not hurt

Pacman......but then the game 

might become too easy.I can make

a hydrant...just as background or as

an item,which can be touched.But for a 

jumpnrun game....a little bit difficulty

is ok....

As far as i know,Bob did nit change the 

engine.