IGNORED

Controller Port Problem/Unwanted Autofire

thenickman100

Cross answering with this, just in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

The four paddle inputs (I0 - I3) have indeterminate states without a ProLine (or compatible) joystick attached. Usually they'll stay low, but on certain units they'll drift high after the TIA warms up - or just immediately. This can be interpreted as spurious presses by game software using the two-button input mode, and seems to get worse with age.

Xevious starts up in two-button mode, regardless of the left difficulty switch's state. It'll only switch into one-button mode when it detects a VCS style press. So if you're using a ProLine controller and your paddle inputs are hosed - it'll just keep firing.

Galaga operates exclusively in one-button mode, so if it's working that at least indicates I4 and I5 could be fine. But it doesn't say anything about I0 - I3.

Thing to try...

• Try using a single button controller with Xevious and see if it works.
  • Check R36, R37, R38, and R39 to make sure they're in spec.
  • Replace the TIA.
  • Replace the 7805.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Galaga operates exclusively in one-button mode, so if it's working that at least indicates I4 and I5 could be fine. But it doesn't say anything about I0 - I3.

Galaga only worked fine after I removed the TIA and put it back in.  Before I tried that, every game--including Galaga--was experiencing the same issue.  Xevious is the game that caused the 7800 to act up in the first place, though.

22 minutes ago, thenickman100 said:

Galaga only worked fine after I removed the TIA and put it back in.  Before I tried that, every game--including Galaga--was experiencing the same issue.  Xevious is the game that caused the 7800 to act up in the first place, though.

This definitely sounds like a bad TIA or a really lousy continuity issue. Do you have another TIA to swap in and try?

On 9/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, TailChao said:

This definitely sounds like a bad TIA or a really lousy continuity issue. Do you have another TIA to swap in and try?

Unfortunately, I do not.  I might pick up a 2600 at some point to try the TIA, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.  If one game is causing it, is there any way it is overloading the board/TIA?

As to your other suggestions, I already reassembled the system and returned the game.  I'll probably stay away from 7800 repros from now on, aside from homebrews.

12 hours ago, thenickman100 said:

Unfortunately, I do not.  I might pick up a 2600 at some point to try the TIA, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.  If one game is causing it, is there any way it is overloading the board/TIA?

It's possible, but usually if a cartridge is causing a supply rail to sag you'll see other symptoms like video issues or instability.

The whole input block on the 7800 is extremely fragile - so the TIA, RIOT, and ProLine support circuitry could have been damaged years ago and it's just now that the components are starting to fail.