IGNORED

286 emulator for the falcon?

larrylaffer

Yes! Thank you. 

I did manage to identify this card and in fact the software needed (other than DOS or Win) has been discussed previously here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29235

The version of the files I have seems to have an issue with VGA, it starts windows 3.1 but the screen is distorted. I can barely see the windows and the icons...

I will replace with the files in the link above and try again...

3 hours ago, larrylaffer said:

The version of the files I have seems to have an issue with VGA, it starts windows 3.1 but the screen is distorted. I can barely see the windows and the icons...

No... that seems about right based on my years of experience with Windows 3.1 back in the day.  Sounds like it's working just fine to me.  A very accurate emulator indeed!

5 hours ago, larrylaffer said:

Yes! Thank you. 

I did manage to identify this card and in fact the software needed (other than DOS or Win) has been discussed previously here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29235

I will replace with the files in the link above and try again...

Sounds almost like Windows can't sync to the display.  Out of curiosity, what type of display are you using, and does DOS running on that card show up properly?

Be interesting to see what happens with the drivers installed.

I cracked it... ?

Windows was using falcxvga.drv driver (set in system.ini) and as soon as I changed it to falc_vga.drv and added that driver from the zip in c:\windows\system it all starts up nice and crisp!

Maybe the falcxvga.drv was corrupted. It got too late last night after I figured things out and I just declared victory and stopped...

As for the monitor, I have a modern LCD but I get the vga signal from the Atari falcon->vga adapter, feed it to a scan doubler/scaler and then into the monitor. Works great with all my retro computers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemonday said:

Would be interested in seeing a few screenshots of this in action if you have time!

You are right! Moments like this need to be captured!

So here it is:

- Falcon Speed running

- Booting into DOS 6.20

- Slash screen of win 3.1 (not sure why black and white...)

- Win 3.1 running

- Win 3.1 screen saver kicking in!

My wife is so proud of me right now! ?

20190926_103451.jpg

20190926_103529.jpg

20190926_103542.jpg

20190926_103631.jpg

20190926_103944.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. This brings back memories of college around the mid-90s before Windows 95. I had been using my MegaST4 since 1987 using LDW Power for spreadsheet work. However, it was starting to show its age being only Lotus 123 compatible. I needed Excel since everyone else was using it so I needed to exchange data with my lab partners. Texel was promising but it was German only. All this finally gave me an excuse to buy a Falcon and Falcon Speed. It was not the fastest, but for the Excel spreadsheets and graphs I was making, it worked.  Floppy disks being MS-DOS compatible also was a plus. Also got to stick with Atari a bit longer before going PC at the end of the 90s.

• Like 1