IGNORED

IBM 5150 Power Supply Repair

Tempest

I have an IBM 5150 that has a weak power supply.  When I put too many cards in my system there's noise on the 5v line which comes out the speaker as a 'whistle'.  I cracked open my power supply today, but I can't see any obviously bad caps.  Does anyone have any experience with fixing these?  I think this may be beyond my abilities.

psu1.thumb.jpg.1f67439a1d549c82d94e3f9e20519dff.jpg

psu2.thumb.jpg.a55644dc734eab5cc79974c143fc9fd8.jpg

Apparently IBM never made schematics for their PSUs.  Probably because they have upwards of 300V in places and don't want the average joe poking around in there.  Sams Computerfacts has a reverse-engineered schematic for one of them though.

If you see what looks like liquid residue around any of the large capacitors, that's a good sign of leakage.

There does not seem to be an actual regulator on the 5V output line, only the -5V line.  Instead, the early stage uses an oscillator to send square waves through a small transformer, which drives a larger transistor that outputs square waves through the large multi-tap transformer.  One of those taps is the 5V output.  It uses opto-isolators to decide when to cut back on oscillation.

The most likely failure point does seem to be the capacitors though.