IGNORED

New game released: Jet Set Willy 2019

Tezz

Well,

at atarionline.pl someone (Irata4) played the game and found a few bugs... 

post #13 (take a look at the JSW 2019 movie clips).

Some short google translated quote: " I played the game quite specifically until late at night and I must say that the game sucks, i.e. terribly bugged, which makes fair play impossible, there are places in the game where we can lose all our lives through one mistake. Anyway, there are quite a few mistakes and the graphics of other charts give the impression of being underdeveloped or even unfinished, and to the extent that I have recorded videos to make sure that with my version everything is ok and show those errors and places. Let it not be trolling."

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

We are the fans though, both of JSW itself and your awesome conversion. All the original features (even if they are bugs ? ) should be kept - it's historical code after all?

although a bonus, bugs fixed version is always nice too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

We are the fans though, both of JSW itself and your awesome conversion. All the original features (even if they are bugs ? ) should be kept - it's historical code after all?

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

although a bonus, bugs fixed version is always nice too!

Just to be clear, they aren't bugs but features of the games design that he didn't appreciate. What he meant was in his opinion JSW the game "sucked and was terribly bugged".

Any actual bugs in the original have been fixed or rather not replicated in my rewrite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, McKong said:

@Tezz - I think I may have found another bug. JSW is supposed to be able to climb the rope on 'We must perform a Quirkafleeg' to get to 'Watch Tower'.

In our version he dies when he gets to the top of the rope. Perhaps I've got this wrong as I'm not that familiar with the original game.

Hi, thanks for playing through the game. After a few weeks away with family stuff I've been finalising the NTSC changes the past couple of weeks so I'm glad you spotted this. No this shouldn't happen at the top of the rope, somehow I missed it after all my testing! I can see it only happens if you stop at the top of the rope and edge up into the room, I'll make sure to fix that whilst preparing the final build.

I'm glad to see that someone has actually been playing through the game :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, McKong said:

Well I was hoping to complete it so I've been exploring all the rooms. I think 'Watch Tower' is the only one I haven't been to!

So it's safe to say that no one has completed the game using your version yet then!

Well the bug was only if you actually edge up the rope when stopped right at the top in just one certain position otherwise you do always enter the Watch Tower correctly which is why I missed it :) The bug is caused by a mistake in the room entry that checks Willys Y location so it's checking the bottom of the current room instead of the new room.

I have played the game through to completion without cheating.

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 2

I've now completed the final PAL, NTSC and hybrid compliant release. I've replaced the attachments in the first post.

I've added in the flashing loading message which recreates the original Spectrum loader albeit with the Atari ROM font which you can check out with the attached DOS 2.5 ATR image example. You should be able to load the executable from any device.

loading1.gif.1fe96a6b1a382142c7a3bdb23f615ea1.gif

As mentioned in the above posts, the mistake I'd made with the top of rope checks has now been fixed and also whilst working through the changes for NTSC timing I did notice one error I'd made in the Maria procedures so that is now fixed also. I added a timer for the completion sequence so it returns back to the titles, it seems Matthew intended to do this as he resets the clock timer for the completion but didn't then include the minute countdown (which is entirely understandable with the extreme pressure he was under to make sure the game was out on schedule). I've tested through the game pretty considerably so hopefully there's nothing I've missed.

I decided on a slightly reduced playing speed for NTSC to keep it consistant overall, this was dictated by the maximum speed of the "cold store" room. I've made use of Rob Hubbards player procedures to reduce the tempo for NTSC machines rather than the usual 6th frame skip. It plays just a tad faster than the PAL original.

If anyone has included the earlier PAL only pre-release in their online archives, can you please download the final release and replace it :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 11/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, nysavant said:

Thank you.  Personally never been much of a fan of Jet Set Willy, but really appreciate all your hard work to bring the definitive version to our Atari's.   

Of course, now I will spend the next couple of hours swearing at my 800XL as I try to get past the first couple of screens!

You're welcome, hopefully you made it further.

15 hours ago, McKong said:

Thanks. I played this morning and was able to reach the 'Watch Tower' screen!

Great, I'll try to record a complete walkthrough one of these days, unless someone beats me to it :)

Geoff Neils perfect walkthrough video on You Tube is a good reference.

3 hours ago, McKong said:

My best is 73 items so far, I've got solutions for all of the rooms, it's just a case of cutting out the mistakes!

That's excellent, there's just 10 more items remaining in that attempt. I really need to practice "At the Foot of the Megatree" and "The Forgotten Abbey" a few times before attempting a complete walkthough again. I don't know if I'll manage the perfect run with just one life lost.