IGNORED

4 Port 5200 Switchbox Replacement?

bluejay

I got a 4 port 5200 from @rkenneha and because it didn't come with any cables, I had to go get them from a local video game store, except I couldn't. The guy wanted $20 for each controller, and he didn't want to sell the switchbox, for the 5200 he is selling. He had 3 adapters, but I decided there was no use of buying it if I didn't have the switchbox. Is there a cheap aftermarket switchbox that costs around$5~10 that works with the 4 port 5200? Normally, I'm all against aftermarket stuff and I like to use all original stuff, but I'd really rather buy a Sega Genesis than a single 5200 switchbox.

9 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Is there a cheap aftermarket switchbox that costs around$5~10 that works with the 4 port 5200? Normally, I'm all against aftermarket stuff and I like to use all original stuff, but I'd really rather buy a Sega Genesis than a single 5200 switchbox.

Nope. The switchbox in the 4-port unit also powers the console. You connect the power adapter to the switchbox, plug the switchbox into the TV, and plug the console cable into the switchbox. So you either need to source an original Atari 5200 4-port switchbox or else perform a power mod to the console so that you remove the switchbox from the power circuit, and then you can simply screw the coax cable from the console into the antenna jack on your TV.

13 minutes ago, bluejay said:

I found an rca jack when I took it apart. It didn't have anything plugged into it. Maybe that can be used as an alternate output and I could use a broken switchbox that only supplies power and no video?

The rca jack is for the switch box (video and power) since there is no power in the 4 port otherwise.

Radio Shack no longer sells some of the required components, and it's about the same price to buy the authentic switchbox now. The 22 gauge cable costs about $6~$7 and the power jack $2.49. The 3 rca jacks I need will cost $2.13. The caps cost $0.99. All that plus tax and shipping from 2 different websites. I'll have to scavenge around the house for the bolt and use my bad switchbox's metal box. That's around $20 and for 5 more bucks, I get the authentic Atari version and don't have to make something.

Edited by bluejay

Stuff arrived today.  All 3 boxes are dead.  They power on my 5200 but no picture.  I verified with my good box.  So its a good syatem just bad switch boxes.  Anyone wants a stab at fixing 3 dead boxes?  PM me.  And the 2 controllers one is dead no buttons register.  And rubber boot is missing.  And the other keypad not working. But at least start pause and reset work.  And rubber is present under the stick.  But its loose.  I have to open her up and fix it.

And I need further testing on the sticks.  Which games will hell me test all the buttons?  Does any game use all the keypad buttons?

Edited by 0078265317

Star Raiders uses the entire keypad. You can google the manual if you don’t have the overlay or a copy of the manual with the game. 

For those of us who test and repair stuff, a copy of Pete’s Test Cart will let you test controller buttons and stick functionality as well. 

• Like 1