IGNORED

1050 Select drive switch

Madi

7 hours ago, BillC said:

It's possible that your ID select switch only needs cleaning.

Actually,  2 tabs that hold the packing to the core of the switch are broken.

The issue I am having is that Best electronics who have this switch asking for 20 US as minimum purchase. Add that to the international shipping cost= $$$. 

madi

tabs.jpg

Another option is bypassing the old switch entirely and install a new toggle switch mounted on the case - even at the front of the drive for convenience. You'd have some options with this route:

• One 2 position switch: toggle between D1 and D2
  • Two 2 position switches, toggle D1-D4 with 4 combinations.
  • One 3 position switch, toggle D1, D2, D4 (with D1 being the middle position) I have one drive setup with this configuration.
  • A double pole 4-position slider switch to select between all 4 should also work. I've seen this used for a 4 OS slider switch.

3 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Another option is bypassing the old switch entirely and install a new toggle switch mounted on the case - even at the front of the drive for convenience. You'd have some options with this route:

• One 2 position switch: toggle between D1 and D2
  • Two 2 position switches, toggle D1-D4 with 4 combinations.
  • One 3 position switch, toggle D1, D2, D4 (with D1 being the middle position) I have one drive setup with this configuration.
  • A double pole 4-position slider switch to select between all 4 should also work. I've seen this used for a 4 OS slider switch.

You are right. There are a lot of ways to look at it.

I am thinking of replacing the defective switch with 2 bit Slide Type Switch 2.54 mm like in the picture. 

I have a crazy idea that involves replacement of the SS-packaging of the old switch with one generic slide switch packaging. Of course, I have to take measurements and dimension of the defective switch packaging. This would be my last resort.

thanks for the info

madi

2bit switch.jpg

14 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

dropcheck uses a 4-position rotary switch on her mysterious XF551 mod board

might be an option?

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. However I think, this type of 4position, 1pole will not accommodate all 4 drive select options.

The 5 position 1 pole switch will be suffice, but the nice numbering will be lost. Also, using 4 position 2 poles will be acceptable, but I noticed (from reviewing few switches) that they are bulky and need drilling of the case. 

Again, thank you for the effort.

madi

4pos-1pole rotary switch.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi @Madi

I was visiting my dad's place recently and found this in one of his spare parts bins, thought of you and grabbed it. It must have come from an 810 or 1050 at some point, because the solder on the pins looked like it was torn off of a PCB before I cleaned them up... If you still need one PM me, i'll drop it in the mail.

Interesting it's stackpole, same brand as 800 (and some 800xl?) keyboard keyswitches...

IMG_9280.thumb.jpg.e1912d28b2ef9ef1d8a7aa778422f73d.jpgIMG_9279.thumb.jpg.0ca239f5dda4b8cd223dbf262468dfdf.jpgIMG_9281.thumb.jpg.76702505b8892fa20348cb898e47cc83.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Hi @Madi

I was visiting my dad's place recently and found this in one of his spare parts bins, thought of you and grabbed it. It must have come from an 810 or 1050 at some point, because the solder on the pins looked like it was torn off of a PCB before I cleaned them up... If you still need one PM me, i'll drop it in the mail.

Interesting it's stackpole, same brand as 800 (and some 800xl?) keyboard keyswitches...

Hi @Nezgar

It is very kind of you to think of me. I did manage to fix my broken switch with superglue and applied a thin layer of epoxy. It looked ugly but works great.

I can not thank you enough for your generosity. I will keep that in mind for future need. Indeed, this switch is so previous due to its rarity.

Thank ounce again.

Madi

• Like 1