IGNORED

Aquarius II

Tom K

I recently found this "unicorn" in my basement and was wondering if anybody knows approximately how many still exist? I see that the serial number database only contain 5 entries and that's pretty much all I've found. Seems like this site have some knowledgeable people on the subject though. :)

I worked in a computer store back in the 80's and got it as partial payment since the shop was on the verge of going under, I played with it for... I dunno maybe 10-20 hours before I put it in a box and stowed it away and switched back to my Speccy. Completely forgot about the thing after a couple of years.

Recently I watched a video on YT about the original Aquarius and though to myself, damn that thing looks familiar so I went down there and started looking around... and there it was. I was quite shocked as the video had said that the II was extremely rare.

I am actually considering selling it but have no idea what it's worth. Or maybe I'l ldonate it to a museum. I'm not really into this time period anymore so... I do want it to go to someone that would take good care of it though.

I haven't powered it on yet (kinda scared lol), but the external appearance is very good, maybe a bit yellowed but I don't quite remember how white it was when new.

From what I have read it was supposed to come with a RAM expansion cartridge but mine does NOT. I don't have the original box either, but I do have 2 manuals (guide to home computing + simplified instruction cards) and the PSU. Maybe the cartridge was still in the original box and got thrown away or something... the machine was used as a demo unit in the store for maybe a week or something. :P 

Tom K

Norway.

• Like 5

Would you mind posting some pictures?

The Aquarius II is indeed a exceedingly rare machine; I know of only a few working specimens, all in the hands of collectors.  An Aquarius II in Finland, with a box and a complete set of manuals and accessories, recently sold for $2880 USD on eBay (see here).  Despite its rarity, the Aquarius II is mostly a curiosity: the case is different, and it has a full-stroke keyboard, but it has the same amount of internal memory as the original Aquarius.  With the sole exception of its integrated Extended BASIC, even the firmware is the same.  Nonetheless, I'd like to see one in person someday, and I'd especially like to see the manuals scanned and archived.

• Like 1

So it was indeed supposed to include a RAM cartridge and not have it built into the motherboard, ok. Wish I had all the parts but hey, I can't really complain, now can I...

Any known problems with them regarding reliability? I guess I can measure the PSU before trying to turn it on, just in case. Probably should recap it too, or maybe it's better to leave that alone for now since it's never been opened. Decisions decisions.

2 minutes ago, Tom K said:

I will try to put some up later this week.

How much do you guys think a bare bones machine with just the things I mentioned above be worth?

Oh, and the serial number is RH()500780, and on a white sticker next to it that says 2294RH.

Thank you!

It's difficult to say exactly how much it would sell for; there are too few examples to extrapolate from.  The Aquarius II in the last auction (the $2880 one) was complete in the box, and it also had the novelty of being the first one to be listed on eBay in ages.

1 hour ago, Tom K said:

I will try to put some up later this week.

How much do you guys think a bare bones machine with just the things I mentioned above be worth?

Oh, and the serial number is RH()500780, and on a white sticker next to it that says 2294RH.

Once you have pics we might be better able to determine that but really an eBay auction will give you your best answer. 

Got some pics! Uhm... excuse the mess if anything is visible. :P It turned on no problem, and no puff of smoke. :P There is some yellowing on one side but looks pretty good overall to me.

I think I covered the whole exterior,but let me know if you want more.

20191012_204850.jpg

20191012_204905.jpg

20191012_204921.jpg

20191012_204940.jpg

20191012_205003.jpg

20191012_205013.jpg

20191012_205040.jpg

20191012_205053.jpg

20191012_205109.jpg

20191012_205116.jpg

20191012_205124.jpg

20191012_205133.jpg