IGNORED

Multi-carts? Which are the best?

SoundGammon

This comparison table should help 

A8 loading devices.pdf

There are quite a few multicarts, all of them are good, a few are great. 

The!Cart, Ultimate Cart, AVG Cart and UNO Cart are probably the ones that you'll find most interesting. 

My own personal opinion... I have the Ultimate Cart and AVG Cart, I think the AVG is better. I'd like a The!Cart but for doing non gaming kinds of things.

Edited by Mr Robot
Added Personal Opninion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See comparison chart in Topic for newbies.

Considered ATR compatibility (useful but obviously limited because it's not a SIO device) and second button to swap disks, search functions, Side 2 loader emulation and nice price, at the moment I think drag and drop on SD cards AVG Cart is the best choice.

Well, after meeting almost all of my needs with Ultimate1MB/SIDE I-II and Incognito/SIDE combos, I finally came down to two candidates that would make sense on my current platforms: The!Cart and Ultimate-SD.

These two were the ones with the right balance of features and form-factor compatibility (e.g. they run perfectly fine on the ENTIRE line of Atari computers, which is not the case, for instance, with AVG cart, or even my SIDE 1/2).

And, at the end, I decided for the Ultimate/SD cart, as it is very easy to add carts to its on-board SD card, as well as having gobs of horsepower under the hood. So much (in relative terms) that a Veronica emulation load has been created for it, so it can enhance the 800/XL/XE with additional processing power, behaving as a co-processor too (!).

Generally speaking, anything that has not been designed to fit or run properly on the 800 is automatically off the list (the 800 will be the ONLY system on Atari lineup that will be capable of running these carts with NO cartridge-port contention, when simultaneously using Incognito's internal HD (SIDE) AND the attached multi-cart on LEFT-cart port (something not naturally possible on my 800 XL/U1MB).

Having said this, The!Cart and Ultimate-SD will do really well for most users, especially if they already have Ultimate-1MB/SIDE or Incognito/SIDE running.

I have The!Cart and would recommend it, but ultimately it comes down to current availability. And @Gavin1968 just said some  Ultimate carts would be available soon. Of course there is also the MyIDE II which can be used as a virtual HDD as well as a multi-cart with it FAT32 loader, has a patched version of SiDE loader for reliable .xex loads. The Fat32 loader does as well, but it's not as compatible with all .xex's. The!Cart and MyIDE II have 512K sram on board and the MyIDE II also has MyBIOS alternate operating system which the latest version of is really cool, and MyDOS built in for the HDD side of things. A small modification is required for both The!Cart and MyIDE II to work on an 800, but the MyIDE II won't fit under the 800's cart door with the CF card, so a modification to the door switch is also needed so you can leave it open and still have power.

Then there is always Atarimax multi-carts, both 1Mb and 8Mb versions and Atarimax products (MyIDE II, Multicarts) are ALWAYS available, no limited runs, and great deals on multiple cart purchase discounts for the multi-carts. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...