IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

Just got my new build surface for my printer and have printed a test cartridge shell.  Wasn't too pleased with it at first, but now I've figured out its idiosyncrasies the results are pretty good.  I'm a bit worried about the fit/dimensions of the shell itself, as I recently made changes to accommodate the '7800 differences in fit/size. I may get the micrometer out, and compare with a sacrificial "normal" cartridge to see if I can improve things.  Meanwhile, the gazillion "top labels" in the picture are of no significance at all.  I just printed a bunch because it's just as easy to fill the bed with them as it is to print just one.

pc2.thumb.jpg.e0113d394b6716337c72bdcd1c584ac9.jpg

• Like 4

My PlusCart arrived yesterday and I've connected it to my WiFi and played a few games, but when I try to connect to my PlusStore account, this happens when I click toggle status:

Did I miss a step somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind. I just tried again and it worked. This is an awesome device. Can't wait to dig into the High Score Club!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

My PlusCart arrived yesterday and I've connected it to my WiFi and played a few games, but when I try to connect to my PlusStore account, this happens when I click toggle status:

Did I miss a step somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind. I just tried again and it worked. This is an awesome device. Can't wait to dig into the High Score Club!

Welcome to the club!

• Like 1

So, I'm testing a recently printed shell, and I plug the PlusCart into my '2600 JR, and up comes... Frogger?!!!

I thought, OK, somehow the PlusCart has failed and "hard-flashed" frogger to auto-boot (even though I've never downloaded Frogger).

So, test again... same thing. Unplug, plug in... same thing.

Mmmmh....

OK, so let's try a different PlusCart board.  Plug it in... Frogger.  WTF??

It took me a couple of minutes, but eventually I found that when I had NO cartridge inserted at all, up came Frogger.

Yes, this is one of those unusual little '2600 units that has 128 built-in games.  I had no idea, as I've never powered it without a cart before.

What was happening was that the PlusCart shell wasn't quite allowing the cart pins to be inserted deeply enough, so the unit thought there was no cartridge inserted, and went into its normal behaviour (display the built-in game(s)).  

I guess even the bizarre bugs/behaviour makes total sense when you know what's actually causing it.

I'm redesigning the shell to allow the cart board to sit just that little bit lower.  Printing a test now.

• Haha 1

I may have found a bug with the HSC Seaquest ROM. Several times a diver appeared but no sharks appeared to chase it. If the diver made it about 2/3 of the way across the screen, it would turn into the enemy sub shots. I haven't seen this happen in the standard Seaquest ROM.

• Thanks 1

Update to PlusCart shell.

* board now held 1.5mm downwards - better/deeper fit into cartridge slot.

* label 0.4mm narrower

* "trench" for board to snap in now 0.1mm deeper

* "trench" now 0.something mm wider

* version # embedded inside shells

I think this will fix the issues some have had where the PlusCart doesn't work with the shell, but does without.

Basically, the board was held too high and the pins weren't making good contact with the cartridge slot.

License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

PlusCart20201216.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I may have found a bug with the HSC Seaquest ROM. Several times a diver appeared but no sharks appeared to chase it. If the diver made it about 2/3 of the way across the screen, it would turn into the enemy sub shots. I haven't seen this happen in the standard Seaquest ROM.

Seaquest has been modified by @Omegamatrix.

19 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I'll take a look in a few days. Thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Yeah, I cant connect to wifi. I dont think I see them in router list, what do they show up as

IRC they should show up as ESPxxx device.

If you can't reconnect them with "WiFi Setup", "WiFi Manager Portal" or "WPS Connect"

You might try to use "Setup" -> "ESP8266 Factory Reset", but after that you should turn of the PlusCart and restart it. This will delete all network connections stored in the ESP8266 and you can try to connect again.

9 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Tried all that, comes up No Wifi, sometimes the menu icon in the upper right shows connected, but says No Wifi. Have no problem connection with my phone and other devices. 

can you see your router's SSID if you select "Setup"->"WiFi Setup" ?

... but it used to work, right?

And now it doesn't work for both of your PlusCarts.

So, something's changed.

Have you done anything - anything at all - with your router?

Moved it, reset it, changed any settings...?

Had a power cut recently?

There has to be something different.