IGNORED

Something I'd like to see

Linndrum

I wish there was a upgrade to some of the old game machines, but not too much. I woulda loved it if there was a 2600 II that had 5 sound channels(or a pokey), 512K ram, Maybe 4 player sprites, 2 balls, and 4 missiles, 2Mhz CPU but mostly the same limitations as before. What do you guys think about something like that? I would've liked something like that with the C64 too, 6 channel SID, 32 colors, 128K ram.....etc I know there was one in development that was sort of like that. The Commodore 65 I think.

If someone made a machine like that I would buy it instantly!

The 8-bit guy is working on his dream computer.

http://www.the8bitguy.com/2576/what-is-my-dream-computer/

http://www.the8bitguy.com/3543/my-dream-computer-part-2/

His goals were to make a computer for under $50 (the first version will likely be $300 and eventually get down to ~$100 range.)

The computer would be made with availability off the shelf parts.

The computer should come with some form of basic, and be “close to the metal,” supporting PEEK/POKE commands (I.e. he didn’t want a RaspberryPi Linux box)

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Good call! I'd still like to see a slightly superior 2600(but not too superior.....just right) There was a bit of a flamewar on Lemon64 regarding 8-Bit Guys computer but I will buy one for sure. Looks awesome

Edited by Linndrum

38 minutes ago, Linndrum said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Good call! I'd still like to see a slightly superior 2600(but not too superior.....just right) There was a bit of a flamewar on Lemon64 regarding 8-Bit Guys computer but I will buy one for sure. Looks awesome

2600 II that had 5 sound channels(or a pokey), 512K ram, Maybe 4 player sprites, 2 balls, and 4 missiles, 2Mhz CPU but mostly the same limitations as before

The ANTIC chip in the 400/800/5200 supports 4 players/4 missiles. The limitations were mainly due to the cost of RAM. RAM is cheap, and since your system would have 512K, why wouldn’t it be wiser to dedicate some of that RAM to video?

I have always thought a remake of an oldschool 8bit system would be brilliant, however im guessing it would be a niche market. A new 2600 using the 6502 rather then 6507 so those extra lines can be utilized with more RAM and ROM would be refreshing. If anything there would be alot of homebrew and to see what could have been.

However im thinking the TIA/PPU side of things would be the hardest obstacle to overcome. Not saying it can't be done, it's just who would be up to the task. Either way id rather put my money down on this rather then the Ataribawks.

• Like 1