IGNORED

Suggestions on upgrading my 1040 STE

I posted this to Atari-forum earlier today.  Thought i would ask around here as well...

I am wanting to upgrade my 1040 STE.
I have been researching the past few days, but items are scattered between different stores and message boards. It's tough to find current and
relevant info and what options are obsolete. I was hoping you all could help me out.

This will be an ongoing process, but wanted to start with a VGA adapter and a USB mouse adapter.

VGA Adapters
- GBS 8220 board (Amazon) Looks like an older option and DIY.
- Best ST multisync cable (best-electronics-ca) Looks like an older, bulkier option.
- ST2VGA Black (centuriontech) I like this one!
- Ubeswitch mk6 v1.3 (ataristsales) I like this one as well!

I have the monochrome Atari ST monitor and it looks so crip and clear. Unfortunately my color options (Med and Low) are using RF on an old CRT
and the image is a bit blurry. It's also kind of a hassle and the TV is taking up much needed space.

Of all the options I have found, I am leaning towards the ST2VGA Black or the Ubeswitch. They look, for the most part, based on a similar design and have a small footprint. They both work with all 3 modes and have a 3.5 mm jack. I have a monitor that will handle the 15kHz signal so that should not be an issue.

The ST2VGA is a bit cheaper then the Ubeswitch. Does anyone have any suggestions between these two? Is there anything I missed or is there a
better option that's out there somewhere?

USB Wireless Mouse Adapters
- RYS mk II (amigaonthelake)
- Wireless USB mouse (Lotharek)
- Tom Rev2 USB mouse (Ebay)

All of these sound like they work well. Although I have seen some discussion about the DPI of the mouse and how it can be too fast.
Does anyone have experience with these or have another adapter to suggest?

On 10/14/2019 at 12:22 PM, Silence The Fallen said:
VGA Adapters
- GBS 8220 board (Amazon) Looks like an older option and DIY.
- Best ST multisync cable (best-electronics-ca) Looks like an older, bulkier option.

I used this combination for a while. The GBS-8220 isn't perfect. You will see weird artifacts on the output. The Best cable is fantastic, but, without something like a GBS or an OSSC you're going to need a monitor that can do 15kHz.

Nowadays, I use this ST to SCART cable with the OSSC, or I plug it into my Sony PVM. That turned out to be the best solution for me.

I also use a TOM rev2 mouse adapter with little trouble. I find the original ST mouse to be annoying slow.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:46 PM, robdaemon said:

Nowadays, I use this ST to SCART cable with the OSSC, or I plug it into my Sony PVM. That turned out to be the best solution for me.

I also use a TOM rev2 mouse adapter with little trouble. I find the original ST mouse to be annoying slow.

I would love to get a PVM.  I have looked off and on for several years but haven't found anything yet.

I am glad to hear the TOM rev2 works well for you.  I'm not sure why no online shop seems to carry them, so I hopped on Ebay and ordered one.  Hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks.  My old Atari mouse doesn't work very well.  I opened it up and cleaned it, but I think it needs a spot of grease on the axle or something.

As for the VGA adapter... I'm going to go with the ST2VGA Black once they are back in stock.  I don't use very many hi res programs, so manually switching it back and fourth shouldn't be a big deal.  Although I do like how the Ubeswitch automatically switches, but I can always upgrade again if need be.  I do have a few old multisync monitors that can handle the signal so I should be good there.

Thanks for the help!