IGNORED

Analogue Pocket

I just got the email a bit ago. Basically it's an "Analogue brand" replacement for the Game Boy systems. 

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

They're even developing a dock for it to show on a TV... My wallet. 

EDIT - They're also planning adapters for other portables!

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely down to get one when they come out because they look flippin' amazing, but man do I wish they would have gone with AA batteries instead of an internal rechargable battery for the power source. Sourcing replacement rchargable battery packs is kind of the bane of handheld system collecting over the long term.

• Like 2

I like that 1600x1440 is exactly 10x the resolution of the OG Gameboy.

Gameboy was 160x144

Game Gear was 160x144

GBA was 240x160

Lynx was 160x102

NGPC was 160x152

WonderSwan was 224x144

At that screen size and pixel density, even the non-integer scaled systems should look beautiful.

My only wish is a horizontal form factor, similar to the original GBA but hey, that's minor.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but ExtremeTech lists which FPGAs they're using:

... the Analogue Pocket will feature the same Altera Cyclone V FPGA that Analogue uses for its living room retro consoles like the Super Nt and Mega Sg. There will also be a Cyclone 10 FPGA to allow developers to do their own core development if they wish.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

That looks freaking awesome!

That PPI is insane. I wonder where they got a screen like that from.

VR headsets are starting to use 1600 x 1440 615 ppi panels for each eye so I'm guessing they're sourcing them from one of those manufacturers.

I'm torn on it, but I'll flat out admit my problem with it is entirely the price given the DOCK is an added charge on top of the fact of the hardware I already have as it is.  $200 isn't so much a problem, but $200 for just the handheld is even if it can with added modules (more money right?) handle the sega, atari, snk, and bandai options.  It reeks of polymega pricing with add-on after add-on.

As it is now I have the new handheld legend gbc drop in LCD installed into my GB Color making it the perfect 8bit Gameboy as it is now.  I've got a 101 SP(brighter and not) and a Micro as well for the GBA.  Then for giggles and fun I have a GB Light handheld and some old DMG and GBP handhelds too for real throwback fun.  Sure it's carrying more than one system, but it gets the job as nicely done.  I just don't imagine seeing 10x the resolution of the old GB making a difference on that tiny screen, on the dock most definitely, but in handheld mode seems pointless.

As it is now too, I've got the SuperNT so that already can pull the high resolutions for GB and SuperGB stuff, and I have GC2HDMI with the GB Player so that gets GBC and GBA too.  The only other system I have is the NGPC and I was going to drop the handheld legends LCD for that in there anyway.

So like at $200 with the dock probably being another $50-100 on top it just seems like an asinine luxury item waste of time for me.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm torn on it, but I'll flat out admit my problem with it is entirely the price given the DOCK is an added charge on top of the fact of the hardware I already have as it is.  $200 isn't so much a problem, but $200 for just the handheld is even if it can with added modules (more money right?) handle the sega, atari, snk, and bandai options.  It reeks of polymega pricing with add-on after add-on.

Cartridge adapters for the Mega SG are supposed to cost $9.99 when they come out, so I imagine they'll keep similar pricing on the adapters for the Pocket.

1 minute ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Can someone explain why this might be better than emulation on a Vita if I didn't want to play on real hardware and have no interest in GameBoy cartridge compatibility?

It's not? The main benefits of their previous projects (Super NT and Mega SG) was that they were extremely accurate, lag-free and worked with original cartridges while bypassing the need for any kind of upscalers to get them working on modern displays.

If you just want games on the go, the Vita's emulation is probably close enough to perfect that most people won't notice. Analogue stuff is geared towards the "audiophiles" of gaming. There *is* a tangible difference, but it takes some looking for.

11 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Can someone explain why this might be better than emulation on a Vita if I didn't want to play on real hardware and have no interest in GameBoy cartridge compatibility?

It will be 100% accurate with 100% compatibility. For most people software emulation is enough because it can be pretty accurate and most importantly free.