IGNORED

Atari 1040STf Video Solution?

I have a 1040STf with NO RF MODULATOR. I have verified that the computer works with a high resolution monochrome monitor. I have found a cable on Ebay and a SCART to HDMI converter.( pics ) What are the chances of this combination actually working?

The ebay cable link :https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-ST-QUALITY-RGB-SCART-LEAD-TV-VIDEO-CABLE-2-METRES/321231353702

The other options I have considered : 1) Installing a RF modulator from Best Electronics. 2) The Ebay seller also sells a Monitor out to VGA cable as well - that option would require a monitor that supports the frequency, and tracking those down is time consuming. 3) Using a GBS-8200 Video converter.

Any information regarding this ( often discussed ) issue would be appreciated, and I know this has been discussed a million times... ;)

Thanks Guys

ST Cable Ebay.jpg

Scart to HDMI.jpg

There's no reason I can think of why that cable plus the SCART-to-HDMI converter shouldn't work.

That said, there are also cables out there that let you go straight to composite: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/buy-atari-st-quality-composite-video-av-tv-lead-ofc-cable (yes, they're in the UK; they were the first Google result, but I have seen these crop up in the US). Not sure if that might be an option for you, but it is at least something to consider.

Don't do the modulator.  It's a backwards step.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

I can't say from personal experience, but I could've sworn I'd read somewhere that these SCART cables wouldn't work unless you had a modulator. Something about the signals provided for the modulator, even though isn't used for the monitor port, and that signal is missing from units without a modulator. I could very well be mistaken, but you may want to look into it, or at least find someone that has actual first-hand experience with it.

4 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

I have a 1040STf with NO RF MODULATOR. I have verified that the computer works with a high resolution monochrome monitor. I have found a cable on Ebay and a SCART to HDMI converter.( pics ) What are the chances of this combination actually working?

The ebay cable link :https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-ST-QUALITY-RGB-SCART-LEAD-TV-VIDEO-CABLE-2-METRES/321231353702

I use a similar setup. I have a monitor to Scart Cable and then use a Scart to HDMI. It works great.

Modulators have the composite sync circuitry and it's why they work with this setup. But you don't necessarily need an RF Modulator. There is a circuit that that generates the composite sync signal that the Scart to HDMI converters need. Some ST's have the composite sync circuitry and some do not.

If yours does not they are very easy to add. It consists of three resistors, a transistor, and two diodes. Less than $5 for the parts.

Peter clued me in and I added it to one of my ST's that wasn't working with this setup. Discussed and pictures here:

Edited by Ute
Clairity

19 hours ago, Paul Westphal said:

Mine looks a bit different than the pic in that thread .. Should I still attempt it? .. Mobo CO70523-001 Rev D.

I found the schematics for the C070520 - Not the exact MB, but your silk screen matches this schematic.

Schem2.png

Edited by Ute
Grammar