IGNORED

RetroTink2X and Commodore Vic/C64...awesome!

eightbit

Well, after years of trying to gain a great picture to a modern flat screen with no issues or lag I am finally able to do it using the RetroTink2X. I have had the Vic-20 connected to this fine device for a few weeks via composite (all that the Vic-20 natively supports out of the box) and the results are astounding. It never looked so good! More recently I connected a C64 via S-Video cable (chroma/luma) to the Tink and WOW. It looks just like it did connected via chroma/luma to my old (and dead) 1084 monitor. 

I will post some images when I have the chance, but just a heads up that if you are looking for a great way to get these vintage computers (this also goes for others) to a modern flat screen via HDMI and want a superb picture...this is definitely the way to go. I am beyond impressed.

• Like 2

That sounds great.  I'll have to look into that.

We have the F18A (and soon, the MK2) for the TI-99/4A and (I just recently learned) the Sophia DVI for Atari 800 series.  The VIC-20 and C64/128 are SCREAMING for a similar device.  Shoot...that goes for the Amiga and ST as well.

In the meantime, I've never been a fan of these converters/upscalers.  But, I've never heard of this one so thanks for that. 

On 10/24/2019 at 7:19 AM, cbmeeks said:

In the meantime, I've never been a fan of these converters/upscalers.  But, I've never heard of this one so thanks for that. 

It's a line doubler rather than an upscaler, which is how it avoids adding lag.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:13 PM, ToddL said:

It's a line doubler rather than an upscaler, which is how it avoids adding lag.

Exactly. It simply line doubles the 240p to 480p. It also handles various PAL modes. It's not like one of those cheap Amazon converters. It was designed with gaming in mind by a retro gamer. It is more like a budget OSSC if you want to think of it that way.

RetroTink seems to work quite well,  at least on the Commodore 8 bit machines;

https://www.retrotink.com/

There's also this option;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-System-7SC-System-Switcher-Integrated-Video-Scaler-Tested/383045902383?hash=item592f50a02f:g:ztsAAOSwd2JdKIpF:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!21037!US!-1

The Extron scalers work very well too, even if they are older technology. The Extron DVS 204 Digital Video Scaler should also work

Here's another thread from Lemon64;

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68065

All I can say is that the RetroTink2X has completely changed the game for me in terms of not worrying about how to connect vintage computers and game consoles to a modern set (or more importantly how they will LOOK). I have 11 game systems/vintage computers connected to it using various switch boxes now. I also purchased the "RGB2COMP" from him and I use that to output SCART from an Amiga 500 to component video directly to the RetroTink2X and out to the flatscreen. And, I am using a budget Polaroid flatscreen from Target ($100 screen) and I am gaining full color PAL and NTSC modes with zero lag.

And, the developer of teh RetroTink is a really nice guy. I have had some questions and he always responds to me via email quickly. 

I am not "affiliated" with his products, but I will promote a product that I believe to be great when I come across one. And these products are indeed great. More than great. I will probably buy a spare RetroTink2X soon just to have another for other projects. Great swiss knife sort of thing to have and the price is right.

I will very likely buy a RetroTink 2X soon. I have been using a Viewsonic N6 for years, with excellent results. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been mention on this site before. The N6 cost me almost $100.00 including shipping, but it was well worth it (it was a new, old stock unit), about five years ago.

Quality upscalers are a wonderful thing indeed! I was a sworn CRT guy for the longest time, but ended up getting a Framemeister expecting to be disappointed (especially at that price); on the contrary, it exceeded every expectation I had, and now I definitely prefer playing 16-bit and later consoles on my flatscreen in the living room.

Framemeister, OSSC, RetroTink, it's all good :)

I still have a small CRT in my office for my 8-bit computers, MIST FPGA (mostly for Amiga and Atari ST), and NES.

I don't like C-64 games on anything but a CRT! I keep an old 1080 mostly for the C-128 and C-64 side of the desk. Even other C-64 software, like Sky Travel, looks better on the CRT to me.

I have a Phillips (U.S.) 44" smart TV/monitor that doesn't need a scaler. Of course if bought new, these things are expensive!

• Like 1

The RetroTink2X does what it does quite simply actually. It just line doubles...that's really it. It doesn't do any advanced post processing although it does have a button to activate a smoothing filter (which I only use with the N64 really). I like how it is just a simple plug in your console, move to the correct input and that's it. Very minimalist...no options really. I am fine with that ;)

But yes, all of the current GOOD solutions (like the Framemeister, OSSC and this device) are excellent for us gamers looking to modernize our displays. I think that is one of the most important things for us to be able to do at this point as CRT's are becoming harder to obtain and are all going to fail sooner or later. 

Just watched some YT vids showing off this device and the smoothing feature compared on/off. Looks really nice! If the lag really is negligible, might have to pick one of these up myself someday.

Too bad circuitry like this isn't built into specialized TV's or monitors and marketed to gamers. Remember the Samsung GX? Could have a modern flat screen equivalent with RT2X circuitry and a larger screen.   :grin:

I have a problem with my RetroTink, and pretty much any hobbyist HDMI devices.  They will not sync audio with some receivers.  I have tried on some friends' equipment, and specifically on my Onkyo.  Connected directly to my projectors, HDMI monitors and TVs have all worked fine.  I could poke at these receivers all day long, but it only occurs with home-brew devices.

26 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have a problem with my RetroTink, and pretty much any hobbyist HDMI devices.  They will not sync audio with some receivers.  I have tried on some friends' equipment, and specifically on my Onkyo.  Connected directly to my projectors, HDMI monitors and TVs have all worked fine.  I could poke at these receivers all day long, but it only occurs with home-brew devices.

I think I told you in the past that I work for a manufacturer of NVidia video cards (GeForce, etc). We have the same problem often with customers calling in regarding audio not syncing with their receivers. We provide no support for them and tell them to go directly into the TV from the HDMI...and if that works we are pretty much done :)

There are too many variables when it comes to receivers...brand...hdmi revision, etc. I think a better idea is to bring the audio from the Tink from the HDMI right to the TV, and then output the audio from the TV via optical to the receiver. Hopefully your TV has an optical out and the receiver has an optical in :) But, this is the way I always hook my stuff up when it comes to receivers. The benefits usually being that you can control the volume with a TV remote and all HDMI devices audio going to that set will output directly to the receiver via one nice cable.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

Just watched some YT vids showing off this device and the smoothing feature compared on/off. Looks really nice! If the lag really is negligible, might have to pick one of these up myself someday.

Too bad circuitry like this isn't built into specialized TV's or monitors and marketed to gamers. Remember the Samsung GX? Could have a modern flat screen equivalent with RT2X circuitry and a larger screen.   :grin:

Mike Chi (the developer) is actually building the technology into stand alone adapters now called the "RAD2X" series. So, Genesis (or SMS) right to HDMI, SNES right to HDMI, etc. And these little adapters also retain the button for the smoothing effect if you want it. 

I agree about having this tech built into modern TV's, that would be great. But they will never do that. Why cater to us retro gamers anyway? ;)

As for lag, I can detect NONE. I know they say there is like a millisecond of lag or something, but I do not feel it. I have been playing some really twitch games to test this over the past few months and everything is spot on. The picture looks outstanding and I detect no lag. And all of this on a cheap $100 Polaroid TV from Target! Yes, I am a big supporter of this product to say the least.

I now have an Amiga 500 connected to it using his RGB2COMP adapter, which takes the RGB from the Amiga (I am using a cheap SCART cable from ebay) to the RGB2COMP and then to the Retrotink and again, awesome picture and lag free game play (even using PAL mode line doubled to 576i at 50Hz!). I don't think anyone else has tried that afaik, but heck, much better than an Indivision ECS for my money! I used to own the Indivision ECS but ditched it after setting this up.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I think I told you in the past that I work for a manufacturer of NVidia video cards (GeForce, etc). We have the same problem often with customers calling in regarding audio not syncing with their receivers. We provide no support for them and tell them to go directly into the TV from the HDMI...and if that works we are pretty much done :)

Unfortunately, the receiver is there to simplify my life -- I have numerous inputs to select and two outputs to run (projector in the living room and a TV in my office.)  I replaced my RetroTink with a KanexPro and all is well.

• Like 1