IGNORED

Vienna, Austria Atari gatherings (anyone)?

slx

Some time ago I heard of a regular Atari gathering (Stammtisch) in Vienna taking place somewhere in 16th district. Can't remember who told me, so I'm trying to find out whether there are any (regular) Atari gatherings in VIE or, if not, if there would be interest. I could maybe access a location in 22nd district near U1 if a place for the meeting is an issue.

Answers in German or English welcome.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 12:09 AM, slx said:

Really no one around?

?

I can't help much because I don't live in Vienna - but I understand your motivation.

I have the same situation more or less in Munich area. I think there should be enough people people around but so far I couldn't really find organized Stammtisch events.

I have a meeting with a small bunch of friends that wie call "High Score Club Munich". So at least we come together at home play a few games and then talk about old computers. So maybe this would be a good start for you to motivate people in Vienna to come around and at least turn on the Atari :)

Edited by twh/f2
  • Like 2

You might want to expand your search for general 8/16 Bit meetings in Vienna. Even if there is no "Atarian" around at first, some might show up. Or get even "converted". We join many meetings in Germany and made some people buying Atari 8 Bit Computers (again) and join ABBUC.

• Like 1

I think its more a sign of the times, as we get older travel isn't as fun as it used to be and the cost is always being upped making people prefer a podcast etc...

A shame as Vienna looks to be a lovely place, not been through most of the EU, did go to France, Malta and Spain but that was it, most of our travel has been to America.

Here's hoping for a good turn out...

On 11/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, skr said:

You might want to expand your search for general 8/16 Bit meetings in Vienna. Even if there is no "Atarian" around at first, some might show up. Or get even "converted". We join many meetings in Germany and made some people buying Atari 8 Bit Computers (again) and join ABBUC.

I am on the mailing list of a regular Commodore meeting (boo) which will tolerate Atarians. They meet about 4 times a year and I usually make it to one of the meetings as Saturday afternoons are usually loaded with Family stuff. If I have not done so already, I will try my luck on the various German sites. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:25 AM, manopac said:

come to the Retrobörse in Vienna this Saturday (30.11.) - there are quite a few of us Atari users there as well :D

Will be there (tall guy with reddish beard) but have to leave early due to kid transport duty, so not much time to chat.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, tmp said:

i've seeked through some videos from previous years, this is mostly console gaming oriented, not much for those of us who like their computers to have a keyboard, right?

Mostly consoles, not much Atari even there, but there are always at least two guys selling Atari 8-bit stuff, usually nice boxed games and a good place to pick up some joysticks. 

There is usually some interesting non-Atari stuff to be seen even if you won‘t buy it. Saw my first TI expansion box there and some weird standalone electronic games.