IGNORED

Noob questions...

Colleton

I had a 520ST from 87-91.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, had 2MB of RAM in it and an external SCSI HDD (30-40MB I think).  I bought the drive, SCSI card + cable and drive enclosure myself and put it together.  None of it was Atari.  Anyways, I'm looking at buying a 1040STF now and am trying to figure out what I'll need.

1.  Will a gotek like this one work, or is there a better choice?  From searching on ebay, it looks like I can buy a gotek mounting bracket designed to fit inside an STF.  If I went that way, would I be able to remove the gotek board from it's case and fit it into the bracket?

2.  I'm looking at an ST->VGA monitor cable in the hopes that I can connect the STF to a modern monitor or TV.  Workable?

3.  I'd like to upgrade the RAM to ~ 4MB.  Any suggestions on specific RAM mod kits and sources?

4.  I have several boxes of old unused 2HD 3.5" disks.  I know the STF drive is a lower capacity, but will the 2HD disks work in the STF drive?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help.

2. You need monitor or TV capable to work at 15 KHz horizontal freq.  for ST's color video modes.  Normally, only high res is what works on VGA monitors.

This is longer topic, and was discussed here a lot. There are lists of compatible monitors too. And it depends from your location. In Eu is easier to find TV with Scart input, and that should work fine with Atari color modes.

There are diverse converters available, for instance ST to HDMI, what is better than VGA now. But prices are in range of new, smaller TV .

3. In ST it is not simple, and will need soldering a lot. I don't think that can find now some kit.  And this indicates question: maybe is better to go on STE ? Better machine, with easy RAM upgrade (sockets).

4. HD disks will work when cover that HD sensing hole.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:08 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

4. HD disks will work when cover that HD sensing hole.

Thanks, I'll have to look this up.  No idea where the HD sensing hole is on the disk.

Edit:  Found it, easy fix.  Thanks!

Edited by Colleton

7 hours ago, hobbyhands said:

I have a similar question. So my 520ST does not have a external floppy. Does anyone know if they still use the same main board as the version with a floppy. That is there a floppy pin connector ins the 520st even though there is not cut out on the side? If not what are my options?

No, 520STs have a case that isn't as deep. There wouldn't be room for a floppy drive. Also, the motherboard is considerably smaller, as evidenced by the considerably smaller case. The plain ST was never made with an internal drive. The internal drives came around when the 1040 came out. Technically, all 1040s are 1040STF machines, the F designating floppy drive. I believe pretty much every model variation that came out after the STF had built-in floppy drives.

So, you'll need to purchase an external floppy for it. The Atari drives come in two varieties, the SF354 single-sided drive and the SF314 double-sided drive. If you plan to use real disks with it, you'd want to get the SF314. I don't believe it matters if you plan to swap the mechanism with a Gotek.

There may be other options I'm not thinking of. If there are, I'm sure someone else will pipe in shortly.