Sign in to follow this  
wierd_w

Measuring a PEB

Hey folks,

I have decided to embark down a path of projects to benefit this community by making complete fully dimensional drawings for (and CAD models of) all the enclosures used by this system.  However, I do not own a PEB, therefor I cannot make such for that item.

Can somebody whip out some calipers and give me some dimensions?

What brought this on:

I have seen some suggested projects that would require this information (Laptop convert of 99/4A, new shell for 99/4A, cartridge replacement shell, etc..), and I have noted a lack of good dimensional drawings for these components. I happen to be a trained industrial draftsman, and can produce these for most of these items myself without help, but I do not own a PEB.

I also own a (cheap, Chinese knockoff) 3D printer, and I did some CAD experiments on making easily printed, "Interlocking" parts, that could be used to create printed versions of these items, with some effort.  This last bit is a moonshot, but the former I can totally do, no trouble.

If somebody has a PEB that is already taken apart, and has a pair of calipers-- Take some photos and scribble your measurements on the pictures and post them.  I will make CAD drawings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

but I do not own a PEB.

If you are anywhere near the Gettysburg, PA – Washington,DC – Baltimore, MD area, I could loan you a PEB for this purpose.

...lee

Sadly no. I am landlocked in the most inconvenient place in the contiguous US states-- Central Kansas. Where there is neither culture, nor appreciation for old things.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Hey folks,

If somebody has a PEB that is already taken apart, and has a pair of calipers-- Take some photos and scribble your measurements on the pictures and post them.  I will make CAD drawings.

While I do have a 12" digital caliper, a lot of those dimensions exceed the capability, so for consistency I used a steel yardstick marked in 1/16" graduations.

This won't be pretty but ... here goes:

The PEB is a 3D rectangle with gross outside dimensions including molding of 17 3/8" L x 11 1/2" W x 7 1/8" H.

There are two "versions" (older style used here) - each has identical, gross outside dimensions with minor rear height modification of #3 below

and the power switch is rocker style not requiring the odd little metal mount seen in lower left pic of #1 below.

Major assemblies are:

1) A steel base of 17 13/16" L x 9 5/8" W x 6 11/16" H resting on 5 rubber feet/bumpers, each 3/4" x 3/4" square by 5/16" high. Fan in upper left is not stock PIC1

The back is a continuation of that steel base to form an L shape. PIC2

2) A 4 1/16" X 7 1/2" PCB mounting 8 60-pin card edge connectors (these are effectively PC 8-bit ISA slots if you chop off 2 pins). Card slots are 15/16" center to center.

3) A steel card cage assembly that sits astride #2 above and mounts itself and the PCB to the steel base of #1 above, provides holes and space for cooling flow and peripheral stability. PIC3

4) A three compartment steel assembly (largest) providing rigidity for everything else to mount to, channels air flow,

and forms front/side enclosure (receives #5 on top and #6 on front). Drive area is 4 7/8" W. Peripheral area is 7 1/2" W. Power supply area is 5" W.

Power supply on right of picture is not stock. PIC4

5) A steel lid with plastic trim of 17 3/8" L x 10 15/16" W x 1/2" thick.

6) A plastic face plate with cutouts like #4 above of 17 3/8" L x 7" W x 1/2" thick. Provides light pipe mounting to peripheral cards, FDD cutout, and power switch access.

#3 is next to impossible to break down and dimension for you, but I'll begin with #1 above and come back and edit this reply with remaining dimensioning.

If none of this is usable, stop me now as this has already been a 1/2-day project ... not straightforward at all. 😁

Doug

PEB Base.JPG

PEB back.JPG

PEB Card Cage.JPG

PEB major.JPG

• Like 2

This is very useful!

If possible, i would take your images and highlight areas i would like measurements on.

I can actually reverse engineer a flat pattern for the sheet metal components if i get some key measurements.

Since this is sheet metal, I need some small bits of detail not provided-- I need nominal thickness of the material, and the outside corner radius of the bends.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1