IGNORED

a C64-version of "Frostbite" was released

AW127

After the great "Keystone Kapers" release on the C64, now the next Atari-2600 classic game found the way to the Commodore-64. "Frostbite" was released by "Antonio Savona" some days ago.

Have a look:

It plays as good as the original version in my opinion. The next good port.  ?  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Aaaaaaaah, just now i saw, that somebody else made a thread to this game sooner. ?

But strangly not in the "Commodore 8 bit computers" area, in which i had looked before, if the topic already existed.

So this thread here then could theoretically be deleted and the other thread maybe moved into "Commodore 8 bit computers" area, that it can easier be found.

Edited by AW127

3 hours ago, high voltage said:

The first Atari 2600 to C64 conversion since Beamrider?

No, there are more.

In August this year a C64 port of "Chopper Command" was released

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=180944

And then there is this great "Keystone Kapers" C64 port from September this year

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=182116

Both released by "Antonio Savona", which also made the "Frostbite" port here. The elevator in this "Keystone Kapers" port behaves like in the Atari-800 version of the game and not like in the Atari VCS-2600 version. But the original game came from the Atari-2600, so i think it's okay, to call the C64 version of this game also a Atari-2600 conversion.

12 hours ago, AW127 said:

No, there are more.

In August this year a C64 port of "Chopper Command" was released

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=180944

And then there is this great "Keystone Kapers" C64 port from September this year

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=182116

Both released by "Antonio Savona", which also made the "Frostbite" port here. The elevator in this "Keystone Kapers" port behaves like in the Atari-800 version of the game and not like in the Atari VCS-2600 version. But the original game came from the Atari-2600, so i think it's okay, to call the C64 version of this game also a Atari-2600 conversion.

Both, nice! Didn't know about them.

I know that already a Phoenix port on the C64 exists called "Eagly Empire", but a 1-to-1 conversion of the Atari-2600 "Phoenix" game to the C64 would be cool. Nothing needs to be added or graphically improved, cause i like the game like it is on the Atari VCS-2600.

9 hours ago, AW127 said:

I know that already a Phoenix port on the C64 exists called "Eagly Empire", but a 1-to-1 conversion of the Atari-2600 "Phoenix" game to the C64 would be cool. Nothing needs to be added or graphically improved, cause i like the game like it is on the Atari VCS-2600.

Why? May as well just play it on the VCS then, where there's going to be better colors anyway.  ;)

I do like the enhancements to old games on computers like the C64, but just don't see the point of 1:1 conversions.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:10 AM, save2600 said:

Why? May as well just play it on the VCS then, where there's going to be better colors anyway.  ;)

I do like the enhancements to old games on computers like the C64, but just don't see the point of 1:1 conversions.

To be true, when i like a game or a version (port) of a game very much, like i did it with "Phoenix" on the Atari-2600, then i always wanted to have this game unchanged also on some of my other favourite-systems. And the C64 is one of these systems.

And the C64 also has the "power" to handle a 1-to-1 port of this game easily. The normal C64 port of this game (called "Eagle Empire") is closer to the Arcade Original of "Phoenix" then the Atari-2600 version is, BUT i like the Atari-2600 version more than the Arcade version in this case. Therefore it would be cool, to have also this version on the C64. But okay, i fear, that nobody will do it  ?  and i myself can not program sadly.  

Interesting in this context is - when i look at this C64 port of "Chopper Command" i mentioned above, then this is very close to the Atari-2600 version in graphics and all other things, although the programer could have improved the graphics on the C64, if he wanted. But i am happy that he does not, it is good like it is.

And there is another good Atari-2600 port, which came out six years ago on the C64 and this is "Cosmic Ark".

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=125154

Also here the graphics are close to the Atari-2600 original graphics. Okay, i knew, "Phoenix" was an Arcade original and not an Atari-2600 original, but because the Atari-2600 version is quite different to the Arcade version, it's almost like another game and to have THIS other game also on my C64, would be fantastic. At least for me personally.  ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, STE'86 said:

change of plan on pressure cooker, its been delayed while we do this

Looks great, especially the sprites.   :)   I have a Mega-Drive version of "Fix it Felix", which is also not bad. Simple gameplay, but fun to play in my opinion. Looking forward to the C64 version of this game. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the Fix it Felix work so far as well!  I hope they put in the bonus stages as referenced in the movie with the abandoned characters from Q*bert!  Every version of the game so far seems to not include that, not that we have seen much of it in the movie, but it would be great to have that added!

In any case its obvious the programmers are very talented!