IGNORED

NES and SNES Controller Sockets

cbmeeks

Does anyone know where I can find NES and/or SNES connectors for the game pads?  I don't mean extension cables that I can cut or USB options, I mean the actual connectors that solder to the motherboards.

Years ago, I bought 5 or so NES connectors (brand new) from Jameco but I can no longer find them there.  Every search I try seems to point me to the controller itself, some USB conversion, or anything else under the sun that isn't what I need.

I assumed (maybe falsely) that with all of the FPGA consoles floating around for both NES and SNES, that their connectors would still be manufactured.  I don't need hundreds.  But it would be nice to have a small supply of them. 

I'm working on designing another 6502 based computer and I would like to use the NES controller on them.  Or even the SNES if available.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SNES ports have been used in superguns and RPi builds, so those should be widely available.

The NES ones I am not sure but there is a supply since the AVS and Analogue devices use them.

But if this is your computer... why not use DB9 or DB15? It would allow using a direct connection. Or you can look at the microcontroller code of the MiST and use a simple USB stack.

17 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Yes!  Well, the first one is what I needed...for the NES.  Although, it's a little pricey.  I think I paid about $2-5 for them years ago but that's life.  I wonder where RetroFixes is getting them?

The second one for the SNES is just a replacement for the actual SNES.  I wasn't completely clear so I will explain better below.

10 hours ago, Newsdee said:

SNES ports have been used in superguns and RPi builds, so those should be widely available.

The NES ones I am not sure but there is a supply since the AVS and Analogue devices use them.

But if this is your computer... why not use DB9 or DB15? It would allow using a direct connection. Or you can look at the microcontroller code of the MiST and use a simple USB stack.

I was thinking the same thing.  The SNES and NES ports *should* be fairly easy to obtain...at least I thought.  Mainly because they are making so many FPGA based consoles like the NES Mini, etc.

Let me explain a little on what I'm doing.

Last year I designed and built a SBC (single board computer) around the 65C02.  I called this the Potpourri6502 (search 6502 forum).  It was nothing major.  But, I want to design another computer over the coming months.  Something a little more ambitious.

I could very easily use a DB9 and a Genesis controller.  In fact, I might just do it anyway since it's so easy to obtain.  But, my favorite controller of all time the the classic NES game pad.  It just feels right to me.

I want my new computer to have the actual NES ports installed.  The 5 or so NES ports I have are oddly shaped on the pins.  They are not right-angle but straight through.  So they cannot be mounted on the motherboard along with an enclosure unless you plugged the controllers in from the top.  Which would look silly.

It would be easy enough to solder my own header (like the RetroFix ones) but I was hoping to provide a kit computer one day where beginners could just solder in their own NES jacks without too much fuss.  The RetroFix ones look perfect but that's basically going to be $18 plus shipping to every kit.  Whereas a DB9 would probably be <$5.

So, what I will probably do is put the header pins on the board and let the end user decide if they want to spend $18 or just hack some NES cable (which I don't like).

Anyway, just a little background.

I understand you have your own criteria. I personally have upgraded my retro computers with modern comfort and, for example, use my Apple IIe Enhanced with a USB keyboard and CF cards.

What about DB15 with Neogeo pinout?

That would be simpler to handle than SNES/NES since everything is directly wired.

• Like 1

I have upgraded some of my retro computers as well.  Mostly CF storage and modern power supplies.  I still use the retro keyboards and composite (sometimes RF) displays.  I like it that way.  I still use tape.

Anyway, my very specific requirements call for either NES or SNES controllers.  Preferably NES but I could settle for SNES.

NES/SNES is very easy to handle.  The hard part has been locating the ports.