IGNORED

Odd graphic glitch

adam1977

I have a UK PAL model with an odd problem, it loads up games and plays, but after a while the screen goes brown and then black and the game stops. Also, it goes to the title screen in colour, but then when you go to start a game the graphics are black and white and really fuzzy, can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

IMG-20191112-222543-HDR.jpg

IMG-20191112-222557-HDR.jpg

The green-ness sure is odd!

I'm not going to have any helpful advice, but came to commiserate. In a way, it's comforting to see someone with an actual PAL TV see these kinds of issues. On my UK console, and on my Australian console, I often have to let the units "warm up" for a long time before I can stably tune in to them. Now the caveats: I'm using a power converter, and an old PCI plug-in TV tuner card that I *think* is properly tuned for the right channel.  I've always attributed problems with these units to those things, assuming that the consoles themselves are probably fine.

Question: does your TV have a fine-tuning option? Back in the olden days there were many glorious analog knobs to fiddle with on TVs to get them to do all kinds of things. Perhaps there's some tweaking to be done in the settings, in case the console being on awhile causes the analog signals to drift?

Could it be a power / heat related issue, or a dodgy color chip? I'm not very familiar with the innards of the PAL models, but I bet others who *are* will chime in soon!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I believe it is an overheating issue. I had an Intellivision just like that where the screens started changing colors after a little while and it eventually died from overheating.  Sometimes the innards just get too old to handle all that power and heat.

It does seem like something is overheating, but oddly after the screen goes off I can turn it off and the colour title screen comes back on, it goes off again though without me being able to play the game :?

8 hours ago, intvsteve said:

The green-ness sure is odd!

I'm not going to have any helpful advice, but came to commiserate. In a way, it's comforting to see someone with an actual PAL TV see these kinds of issues. On my UK console, and on my Australian console, I often have to let the units "warm up" for a long time before I can stably tune in to them. Now the caveats: I'm using a power converter, and an old PCI plug-in TV tuner card that I *think* is properly tuned for the right channel.  I've always attributed problems with these units to those things, assuming that the consoles themselves are probably fine.

Question: does your TV have a fine-tuning option? Back in the olden days there were many glorious analog knobs to fiddle with on TVs to get them to do all kinds of things. Perhaps there's some tweaking to be done in the settings, in case the console being on awhile causes the analog signals to drift?

Could it be a power / heat related issue, or a dodgy color chip? I'm not very familiar with the innards of the PAL models, but I bet others who *are* will chime in soon!

It does let me fine tune the picture, albeit electronically... an analogue dial would be far better I agree :D But whether the console has been on for a while or not that's the best picture I can obtain.