IGNORED

Idea for Scrapyard Dog ‘hack’: you are the dog and are to resque Louie.

Giles N

@KevinMos3

Ok, so - using the infinite-live mode, I got to end-Boss puzzle, but wasn’t able to complete it in time, so I got the headline ‘Louie Sawed - meets terrible fate’.

As to progress, the colors on Louie-in-chains was exactly right.

But in all of the sewer-levels, the tile-line above the running filth is also

brown, ie. the concrete-ground onto which Scraps has to jump is brown and color-cycles.

If, you’re tired - take a break and all that -; you’ve done excellent work.

Personally I’m satiesfied with how Scraps knocks and enters doors, and I love your interpretation of Louie.

I think the final

version should have an infinite-life-mode by using one of the 7800 dip-switches.

I think I used 30-40 (!!!!) lifes on the last Sewer-stage!!!

All good,

Giles N

Edited by Giles N

20 minutes ago, Giles N said:

As to progress, the colors on Louie-in-chains was exactly right.

But in all of the sewer-levels, the tile-line above the running filth is also

brown, ie. the concrete-ground onto which Scraps has to jump is brown and color-cycles.

Did you make any save-states on your way?

I'd like to see the brown you're talking about in the sewer level to know what you're talking about.

Also, I may have found the Louie-in-chains color codes, but I can't say for sure without testing.  If you can play the boss again, I'd like to pm you a test rom where you could tell if the colors were changed or not.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:55 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Did you make any save-states on your way?

I'd like to see the brown you're talking about in the sewer level to know what you're talking about.

Also, I may have found the Louie-in-chains color codes, but I can't say for sure without testing.  If you can play the boss again, I'd like to pm you a test rom where you could tell if the colors were changed or not.

Louie-in-chains is perfect (as to color).

I’ll try to record or photo the sewer.

Edited by Giles N

Hmm, I don't know of any gray that I changed (at least intentionally).  I was very tired so it's possible that I hit a key in the hex editor one of the many times I was having trouble staying awake.  I'll have to scour over every change to see what made it brown.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Hmm, I don't know of any gray that I changed (at least intentionally).  I was very tired so it's possible that I hit a key in the hex editor one of the many times I was having trouble staying awake.  I'll have to scour over every change to see what made it brown.

Ok, - I suffer from light insomnia (in which state of mind all sorts of wierd stuff happens), - so no hurry,  no worry!!

It’s anyway a dream come true to see some of my grfx (and much of yours), come onto the 7800 screen, alive ‘n working!

?

I just want to enjoy the retro-hack-feel!

But if the Sewers [that line of tiles]  can be fixed it would be really awesome!!

Edited by Giles N

33 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Are you there??

Nope.  Been working on my car transmission.

I probably won't have time to work on the game again until later in the week or weekend.  We'll see.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game though.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Haha 1

@KevinMos3

You seem to be the 7800-super-hack-guy around here;  so I’ll ask you - never mind the time -, could the ‘Scraps-Dog’-hack be completed to include:

a) hardware-switch between normal amount of lifes vs infinte life mode (using port 1 or 2),

b) getting the walk-on layer of tiles in the Sewer-levels to be common greys, not color-cycling brownish...?

Answer when time and energy allows; its all for fun & recreation!

Edited by Giles N

On 5/25/2020 at 5:07 PM, Giles N said:

Nope, no save-states; I used the infinite-live-thing, and spent 30-40 lifes on the last Sewer (which is pretty hard).

Here are photographies of the first sewer...

On 5/25/2020 at 7:14 PM, KevinMos3 said:

It is not a issue with the hack, but an issue with the emulator. 

If you're looking for an emulator with a similar user interface to ProSystem, but better console emulation under Windows, please use bupsystem instead:

CaptureBUP1.thumb.PNG.47e17c38ea4014c9e2515836b7451b6a.PNG

CaptureBUP2.thumb.PNG.ff59af2a16f82dd48d0e9e66ac0fc394.PNG

CaptureBUP3.thumb.PNG.ee5b720fb8283f5a81a576076f828228.PNG

And here are some captures from the emulator A7800, which contains much closer to accurate console emulation than ProSystem:

Capture.PNG.aa7f95ac4f5a4b57028efbc9c5bdd600.PNG

Capture2.PNG.73ebc5d5bc5465fc4341f85fb1a82dfc.PNG

Capture3.PNG.d86e62ca41e18f221573224aa41a2740.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

If you're looking for an emulator with a similar user interface to ProSystem, but better console emulation for Windows, please use bupsystem instead:

I wasn't even aware of bupsystem.  I like it much better than Prosystem, especially since I don't have to keep updating my prosystem.dat every time I make a rom edit.  Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I've created a new thread with an update to my previous Scrapyard Dog hack that I'd been waiting to upload.  The latest Scraps hack is consolidated in that thread as well.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Trebor said:

It is not a issue with the hack, but an issue with the emulator. 

If you're looking for an emulator with a similar user interface to ProSystem, but better console emulation under Windows, please use bupsystem instead:

And here are some captures from the emulator A7800, which contains much closer to accurate console emulation than ProSystem:

Thanks!

The Laptop stationed at my place, is windows, so I’ll try the bupsystem...!

On 6/1/2020 at 5:08 AM, Trebor said:

And here are some captures from

the emulator A7800, which contains much closer to accurate console emulation than ProSystem:

Where do you get the necessary ‘images’ for NTSC-modes for the A7800?

Edited by Giles N