IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Hi Thom,

I followed your instructions: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/atariwifi/wiki/Board-Bring-up-for-PLATFORM.IO-code and setup the platformio IDE.

Beside porting the project to the new IDE and restructuring the code, you still use Arduino software framework (and not ESP-IDF), correct?

My NodeMCU ESP32 does not seem to response to the SIO reqs at all.

I have not analysed the code, but the debug terminal shows:

esp32.PNG.9671cb76098c6e59b2aa9e5aec2b8273.PNG

I don't have the SD card, so SD card mounting fails. Is this the reason?

I think it would make sense to still support generic NodeMCU ESP32 boards.

Regards

Marcin

[EDIT]

Now I see that you check the voltage on the PIN 35...

Do you have current schematics for ESP32?

Edited by TheMontezuma

10 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

Beside porting the project to the new IDE and restructuring the code, you still use Arduino software framework (and not ESP-IDF), correct?

Yes, it is still using parts of the Arduino framework.

1 minute ago, TheMontezuma said:

My NodeMCU ESP32 does not seem to response to the SIO reqs at all.

I have not analysed the code, but the debug terminal shows:

I don't have the SD card, so SD card mounting fails. Is this the reason?

I think it would make sense to still support generic NodeMCU ESP32 boards.

Regards

Marcin

The SD card mount errors are unrelated to your issue. The code attempts to mount the SD card if available and continues on. The error message is just stating it could not be mounted.

Hello Thom

49 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

When: Tomorrow, March 7, 2020

Time: 12:00N - 2:00p Central

Is that Saturday or Sunday?  It should be early morning on Saturday in the USA at the moment, so tomorrow would be Sunday the 8th.  Or is my brain playing games on me again?

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

3 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Thom

Is that Saturday or Sunday?  It should be early morning on Saturday in the USA at the moment, so tomorrow would be Sunday the 8th.  Or is my brain playing games on me again?

Sincerely

Mathy

You are correct, sir.

-Thom

1 minute ago, Kyle22 said:

Yeah, me. But I missed it. Now that I'm an owner, the store is open 7 days a week. I have no day off.

Is there an archive of this?

The choice of Discord, and how I was having to stream everything in meant that I couldn't record it.

My experience with Discord doing this ultimately means that I am looking once more for a usable teleconferencing solution that can actually scale for large numbers of participants...

I will try to have more meet-ups though as things get completed.

-Thom

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tschak909 said:

The choice of Discord, and how I was having to stream everything in meant that I couldn't record it.

My experience with Discord doing this ultimately means that I am looking once more for a usable teleconferencing solution that can actually scale for large numbers of participants...

I will try to have more meet-ups though as things get completed.

-Thom

I recorded the last hour or so since I was walking in and out of the room and wanted to replay it. If everyone who was there gives the ok i'll put it up for download

On 2/9/2020 at 9:42 PM, tschak909 said:

Results of my caching experiment:

Basically, grabbing all or partial list of the current directory is much too slow to be of any real use to the directory cache.

To return a list of 10 files, is roughly 500ms on the local network.

To return a list of 2788 files, is 110385ms, from a remote site. or 110 seconds.

This is compounded by the fact that the directory can only be retrieved serially, with no ability to re-position the directory cursor to a specific entry.

Given that the round trip for each directory entry can vary wildly between a few to more than a few dozen milliseconds, even with grabbing the directory in its own thread, it will be painfully slow, (and there's no way to query for the number of entries in the directory, so I can't do much in the read-ahead department)

So I will most likely need to extend TNFS to add commands for SEEKDIR and TELLDIR, so that I can specifically position an open directory handle, or return its current position, respectively, and maybe return the # of entries in a directory, so that I can scoot things ahead.

Will table this for now, and work on other issues.

(There's a reason I said it will take a good year to firm things up!)

But HEY, The filename ellipsize function I put together works BEAUTIFULLY!

ellipsize.thumb.png.581d4237926fc314166167f3130515d0.png

-Thom

Now if you could just add a "popup" when you hover over a filename to show the entire filename lol...btw good work

4 hours ago, 8-bit and more said:

Now if you could just add a "popup" when you hover over a filename to show the entire filename lol...btw good work

I notice there are three or four columns not being used on the right (not even counting the two-column margins on both the left and right of the screen). 

You could have a command (e.g. CTRL-I) that switches to a display with the full filename, timestamp, and any other useful metadata.

I actually need to go through and do some serious re-thinking on this whole section of the code.

I am having to add at the very least, a new pair of functions to TNFS itself, seekdir and telldir, so that I can query and reposition the directory cursor, and make pagination less painful.

I _want_ to add scandir() for proper sorting and filtering, but am getting resistance from TNFS upstream, am still trying to make this case.

The FS API itself doesn't have seekdir/telldir, so for local storage, a rewinddir()/read forward will have to be used to simulate the seekdir...

There's a reason I am stating that we still have a lot of work ahead of us, if image selection is botched, the whole solution will not be a joy to use, this is important to me.

-Thom

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I _want_ to add scandir() for proper sorting and filtering, but am getting resistance from TNFS upstream, am still trying to make this case.

Can't imagine what the upstream resistance would be about.  Where's the downside in adding more functionality at the server end that the client could optionally make use of?

Just now, tschak909 said:

Dylan Smith (the creator of Spectranet and TNFS) has decreed that the protocol be as simple as possible, and has also said that such issues of searching/filtering are UI issues, not to be addressed by the protocol.

I appreciate the "keep it simple" philosophy.  But it's woefully inefficient (if not outright impractical when it comes to our limited machines) to leave searching/filtering to UI code when you're talking about client/server code. 

Maybe appealing to efficiency or examples of other simple protocols that do have that kind of functionality included would help.

The problem here, is that TNFS's implementation is very 1:1 to POSIX, with each protocol verb mapping directly to a POSIX call.

This means that returning each directory entry requires one full UDP round trip.

It means doing a stat() to get ANY information about the file, is ALSO one separate full UDP round trip.

This does not count the SIO round trip to the Atari for any information ready for the Atari to process.

I am having to take some hard knocks and bruises to try and find a solution that works well for image selection.

this in addition to ..........everything else I am working on. ;)

-Thom

• Like 1