IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

I have spent a considerable amount of time building the plumbing required to handle different TCP/IP protocols using very abstracted interfaces that the Atari can efficiently handle. Here you see the same test programs being used to send via both the TCP and UDP protocols.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jamm said:

Interesting.  Tested with FN (I don't know why I keep wanting to write "FJ") plugged in to USB for power.  Tested voltage at SIO-side of R8 (AUDIN):

• Not plugged in to SIO: 0v
  • Plugged in to 800XL SIO while running audio self-test: multimeter reads ~1.5v, but slowly "drains" down and stays steady at 0.08v
  • Plugged in to 800 SIO sitting at SDX prompt: 3.75v

Thanx for confirming. Don't know why I didn't think to check for voltage on the aud in pin.

2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Thanx for confirming. Don't know why I didn't think to check for voltage on the aud in pin.

Can you test and make sure you're seeing the same thing?  Very unlikely we'd have two different electrical issues with the same end result, but I'd rather be positive...

This is how 800XL audio circuits look like.

To make it cleaner I just cut out the relevant part of schematics, covered unimportant things and added text to wires.

When you try to measure voltage, I think the 4,7 uF capacitor is being charged and that is the reason for falling voltage. When it's charged the measured voltage is near zero it "blocks" direct current and let's the waweforms thru.

I will try to dig out the 800 schematics and verify

800xl audio circuit.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Out of curiosity, what are we using sio audio in for on the Fujinet?

Many awesome things will come from that pin.

It's literally connected to an 8-bit DAC that can be controlled by the ESP firmware.

One of the first examples of this is literally a port of S.A.M. (done by Sebastian Macke) that @jeffpiep has ported to the ESP32, so there will be a "voice" device... without the blanking that happens under Atari hosted S.A.M. :)

Other things?

* I want to be able to stream cassettes with audio tracks.

* MP3 or WAV playback

* Seriously, it's an 8-bit DAC that we can use for sound output!

-Thom

• Like 5

800 does not have a DC isolating capacitor between sio connector and the audio circuit input...

So in your Fujinet device put 100nf capacitor in the Audio path (between resistor and the sio connector audio pin) and it should be better.

Screenshot 2020-04-11 at 19.35.26.png

Edited by goldy/gmg aka lopez453
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, goldy/gmg aka lopez453 said:

So in your Fujinet device put 100nf capacitor in the Audio path (between resistor and the sio connector audio pin)

I should (hopefully) have a capacitor in stock I can try tonight. 

Edited by Fierodoug5

22 minutes ago, goldy/gmg aka lopez453 said:

800 does not have a DC isolating capacitor between sio connector and the audio circuit input...

So in your Fujinet device put 100nf capacitor in the Audio path (between resistor and the sio connector audio pin) and it should be better.

Screenshot 2020-04-11 at 19.35.26.png

I think you meant to say 4.7 uF instead of 100 nf.

4 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I think you meant to say 4.7 uF instead of 100 nf.

basically it does not matter so much,  but at 800 the pokey is connected to the audio circuit thru 100nf, so I tried to match the sio audio path with pokey audio path.

in xl series the sio sound is mixed in later stage (after the pokey is amplified by the Op amp) together with parallel bus via 4,7uF capacitor and Sio via 4,7uF capacitor.

it needs more testing when there will be actual music sound coming from FN dacs. lower capacity could filter out the bass sounds, higher could cause short pulse sound during powering on and still interfere with pokey volume in 800.

Edited by goldy/gmg aka lopez453
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyle22 said:

@tschak909, is it possible to scrape https: sites using this? This would be an amazing thing for my BBS.

http and https will be supported protocols, yes. I am at the start of implementing that right now. 

Idea is to use AUX1 to specify a particular HTTP verb, so.

4 = GET

12 = POST

13 = PUT

This alongside AUX2 for CR/LF<->EOL translation, which is shared across all protocols:

1 = CR

2 = LF

3 = CR/LF

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

http and https will be supported protocols, yes. I am at the start of implementing that right now. 

Idea is to use AUX1 to specify a particular HTTP verb, so.

4 = GET

12 = POST

13 = PUT

This alongside AUX2 for CR/LF<->EOL translation, which is shared across all protocols:

1 = CR

2 = LF

3 = CR/LF

@JohnPolka Check this out. Will it work?

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

in the end, you're literally getting a CIO interface, so for an HTTP GET:

5 DIM A$(256)
10 OPEN #1,4,3,"N:HTTP://WWW.FOO.COM/"
20 TRAP 60
30 INPUT #1;A$
40 PRINT A$
50 GOTO 30
60 CLOSE #1

To clarify,

Will this change to line 10 also work?

10 OPEN #1, 4, 3, "N:HTTPS://WWW.FOO.COM/"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

The 100nf 1nf is the bypass to ground if you look carefully.

The 47uf 4.7 is the input cap. Look at the 800xl schematic. Sorry about the initial typos. I have my weak glasses on.

:)

yes thats what I said for 800xl and also described plain 800 has 100nf in the pokey path and no dc filtering capacitor in the sio path and the reason why to consider 100nf too.

important is that now 4,7uF was sucessfully tested to be working for both. 

• Like 1