IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

7 hours ago, jamm said:

Thanks for your breakage, @DrVenkman!  I've just posted a new commit to the fujinet-platformio project that should take care of the Print Shop issue.  It was reading to EOF, and there was a subtle bug with the way the caching code handled that situation. I also tweaked the TNFS timeout to make it less likely that it'll stop loading if some packets get lost while flying through the air.

Excellent. 

One thing I did yesterday as a test was copy a handful of “known good” files from DjayBee’s “CSS Cracks” bundle that has been posted here on AA in years past. I picked a few I know will load and run on my Incognito 800 without a problem, such as The Goonies and Rescue on Fractalus, then tried to load them. These files will work from an SDrive-MAX but both fail over the LAN through FujiNet (or did yesterday). 

So one thing that I think would be useful for the team and testers to do as more units make it into peoples’ hands would be to identify ATRs which load and run when booted from other local devices but fail on FujiNet. This thread is already 50 pages long - might it it be worthwhile to start a dedicated FujiNet testing thread so there’s one place for people to post results along with the example ATRs for each issue? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

So one thing that I think would be useful for the team and testers to do as more units make it into peoples’ hands would be to identify ATRs which load and run when booted from other local devices but fail on FujiNet. This thread is already 50 pages long - might it it be worthwhile to start a dedicated FujiNet testing thread so there’s one place for people to post results along with the example ATRs for each issue? 

That's a great idea, and really was a big reason for getting FN into people's hands as early as possible even though there's still a good amount to be done to finish the software (both in the FN device and on the Atari side).

@tschak909 - now would be a good time to start a new "testing/feedback" thread for FujiNet, no?

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

I have another question for @jamm and maybe @tschak909 - how often should we “First Fifty” testers update the firmware of our devices? Are new binaries built nightly by one of the build-bots commonly used with Github (e.g., Travis, Appveyor ...) or are they only compiled manually every few days or ... what exactly? Or conversely, when we connect our devices to our computers and run the FujiNet flasher tool, does the download automagically pull the latest Master branch and compile it on the fly? 

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

I have another question for @jamm and maybe @tschak909 - how often should we “First Fifty” testers update the firmware of our devices? Are new binaries built nightly by one of the build-bots commonly used with Github (e.g., Travis, Appveyor ...) or are they only compiled manually every few days or ... what exactly? Or conversely, when we connect our devices to our computers and run the FujiNet flasher tool, does the download automagically pull the latest Master branch and compile it on the fly? 

Currently, I build the binaries manually at fujinet.online when I see a new commit so there may be some delay. It will eventually be automatic. The flash tool pulls what I have manually built. You can see when it was built in the versions txt file:

https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/version_info.txt

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

There's nothing automatic at this point, and new builds are created manually as one of us either adds something or fixes something.  If we had a bigger group of people working on the code it might warrant some automatic system, but for now I think we should set up an email notification for everyone who's interested in keeping up to date on the latest changes.  I haven't had a chance to look into that, but I'm sure there are a good number of options available for notifications.

^ synchronized question answering ^

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

This thread is already 50 pages long - might it it be worthwhile to start a dedicated FujiNet testing thread so there’s one place for people to post results along with the example ATRs for each issue? 

Obviously this is up to the developers' preference, but you could use github to track issues: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/issues

4 minutes ago, evilmoo said:

Obviously this is up to the developers' preference, but you could use github to track issues: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/issues

Yeah I considered that but I’m not sure logging unique issues or posting additional comments to existing issues for each and every ATR we run across that doesn’t work is really particularly efficient; here at least we can post our findings and upload the problematic ATR files as we run across them. I don’t know. It just seems that since AtariAge is where Thom and Co. have posted most of the info from the get-go, a dedicated thread here devoted to specific problems might be worthwhile. AtariAge is basically the one-stop-shop for all things Atari, and people are likely to look here first rather than searching through Github’s Issues posts. 

• Like 1

We might do a combination of the two, as each has its advantages. I can see posting something on a thread here and discussing it and creating an issue for it GitHub when needed as a way to track non-trivial issues. I do like the visibility and community aspect of discussing issues in the forums here and think that's important.  Putting it in GitHub's issue tracker provides a very clear indication of the current status of specific issues.  We'll see how it goes and what works best - still have no idea how much feedback/testing we will or won't get.

Edited by jamm

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I picked a few I know will load and run on my Incognito 800 without a problem, such as The Goonies and Rescue on Fractalus, then tried to load them. These files will work from an SDrive-MAX but both fail over the LAN through FujiNet (or did yesterday). 

Don't know how relevant this might be.  The Goonies (from DJayBee's ATXCracks03) works with the multilator_rev2_no32.ino using SPIFFS data from multilator_rev2 on old ESP8266 test bed.  Something must have changed since that time if it doesn't work now.

I'm using an 800XL with Rambo 256 XL.

Rescue on Fractalus images don't work.

I hope to build an ESP32 based FujiNet soon but probably not before my surgery in August/September.

-SteveS

So I set up a headless TNFS server on a disused Raspberry Pi ZeroW that I had lying around. I enabled SMB on my Win10 box so I can drag/drop files to the server for testing, which is convenient. Tonight I discovered that the iOS Files app can connect to it as well, which is also kind of cool. I can easily now copy files to and from the server directory from any of my various cloud services.Not as efficient as simple drag-and-drop from one Windows file explorer window to another, but potentially useful. :)

79AA91A6-74FA-4FAF-87BD-55BD55BE5B31.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

So I set up a headless TNFS server on a disused Raspberry Pi ZeroW that I had lying around. I enabled SMB on my Win10 box so I can drag/drop files to the server for testing, which is convenient. Tonight I discovered that the iOS Files app can connect to it as well, which is also kind of cool. I can easily now copy files to and from the server directory from any of my various cloud services.Not as efficient as simple drag-and-drop from one Windows file explorer window to another, but potentially useful. :)

79AA91A6-74FA-4FAF-87BD-55BD55BE5B31.jpeg

Yes, I'm running my TNFSD 'headless' on my home built NAS box that I use for almost all my storage at home and it's great just dropping files and directories into the shared TNFSD folder while everything is running and just reloading the directory on the Atari side to mount new disks.

Also: please update to the latest commit I just pushed up. It helps reduce the likelihood of ATR disk corrupt when you have a disk open in write mode and do a hard reset (which should normally be avoided but can be easy to forget...)

8 hours ago, jamm said:

Also: please update to the latest commit I just pushed up. It helps reduce the likelihood of ATR disk corrupt when you have a disk open in write mode and do a hard reset (which should normally be avoided but can be easy to forget...)

Is there a pre-built binary I can update with or will I need to put together a local build environment?

I just updated the flash tool (https://fujinet.online/download/) so that you can view the serial debug output from FujiNet over USB. This is useful for those who do not want or need to install PlatformIO/vscode but still be able to report problems and supply debug output. After flashing the firmware you can (or just run the tool and) press the "Serial Debug Output" button and the debug messages should appear in the console window. To test, a short press on button B will print out some info as shown below: 

1742982636_Screenshotfrom2020-07-2908-25-23.thumb.png.660ea35fdf55e6a4c5792709ba98c826.png

• Like 3

Do any of the FujiNet emulated printers support inverse video character printing? I was fooling around trying to print a BASIC listing to PDF and I either get empty black-outline boxes (the HTML ATASCII printer) or blank spaces (the various dot matrix options like Epson 80 or Atari 1025). 

6 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Started up atari dos 2.0s.atr off of my disk which has ndev

Okay, so is that the key? I have to boot with a specific version of DOS? Or just one with the correct support files (for instance, if I don't use SDX, I prefer Atari DOS 2.5 because of familiarity). Can I copy any necessary support files to a DOS 2.5-formatted boot disk?

It shouldn't matter what you boot up in. All the magic is on the ESP. I just happened to know that I had a copy of blackjack over on an http server that I could quickly load up.

sorry if I added confusion there. :)

-Thom

what web browser are you using to pick stuff up in?

Edited by tschak909

2 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

It shouldn't matter what you boot up in. All the magic is on the ESP. I just happened to know that I had a copy of blackjack over on an http server that I could quickly load up.

sorry if I added confusion there. :)

-Thom

what web browser are you using to pick stuff up in?

Hmm. Well, in my prior tests I was using standard Atari DOS 2.5 to boot from, with a BASIC file on the same disk that I wanted to load and print. Just now when I booted off your DOS 2.0s disk, I get a "#FUJINET READY" message at boot (I have yet to experiment with any of the R: or N: device bits). This time when I loaded the BASIC program and did LIST "P: it worked. Very mysterious.

I'm using Chrome, btw. Nothing fancy though I do have LastPass, PrivacyBadger and uBlock installed.

same thing here.. yes, it literally should not matter. 

the dos disks that I provided simply have a handler to make N: work, which gives you access to N: device functions. (There are also a batch of utilities to manipulate the fujinet after you've left CONFIG)

-Thom