IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

The long filename display looks like it works well but it does cost a couple of lines of display.

On the AVGCART hitting the Inverse key will toggle between displaying the beginning or end of the file name for the line you are on, that seems to work pretty well and doesn't cost any screen real estate.

I thought doing it the macOS quicklook way would work nicely too, just hit space to pop up a box with the full filename in it, space again to close the box. That might be hard on a character based display though. I did something similar in DCL a few decades ago, I had to redraw the entire screen when the box was dismissed and it was an ugly mess at 9600baud

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I thought doing it the macOS quicklook way would work nicely too, just hit space to pop up a box with the full filename in it, space again to close the box. That might be hard on a character based display though.

That's basically how Jon's UFLASH UI works. It's about as neat and tidy as can possibly be done in a character-based screen. It would be quite nice though perhaps a bit more awkward when you're paging through 8 or 10 different hits for "Ultima" and you just want to see which ATRs go together ... Simply displaying the long filename by scrolling or at the bottom of the screen is definitely faster when just browsing.

I think the most visually informative method is to display the start and end of a long string and put an ellipsis in the middle (Windows also does this when displaying enormously lengthy paths, etc). It seems to me that the most important parts of a filename are the first few characters and whatever the file extension is. In my SIDE loader, you get this collapsed view until the highlight bar is on the filename, at which point it starts to scroll left and right.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

#FujiNet #Atari8bit CONFIG now mounts disks quicker, by returning to the file list after selecting the disk slot for the previous entry.

Hey!  PrintSheet!  WooHoo!  After hiding for over 30 years on a floppy in a shoebox in the back of a disused closet (with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard!"), it is now (hopefully) getting some use. ?

BTW:  Did the printer emulator ever get fixed to stop inserting the carriage return in the middle of the line showing the names of the printshop images?  When printed directly to a connected printer, everything worked properly.  It printed out 8 thumbnail images across, with their names centered underneath them.  The last time someone posted a pic of the outputs, the emulated printer one broke up the line of names which messed up the vertical spacing of the images on the page.

Hello guys

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

That would work too, though there are always disagreements about how fast to scroll, especially if the filename is very long or very short.

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I thought doing it the macOS quicklook way would work nicely too, just hit space to pop up a box with the full filename in it, space again to close the box.

Maybe it's an option to use the arrow keys (left and right) to either select the scrolling speed or the part of the filename that's being displayed?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS or use the joystick instead of the arrow keys if selecting the files is done with the joystick.

Edited by Mathy
Added the "PS" and "(left and right)"

4 hours ago, phigan said:

I tried looking back some pages in this thread to see mention of it, but it didn't jump out at me. Was the adapter in the 'shop' on the site ever in stock? Or is that page just a placeholder?

Right from the Shop page:

FujiNet devices are currently being built in small batches. Sign up on Order Interest form to get notified when more are available.”

• Like 1

I agree the smaller font is easier to read, this is an Atari not a VIC-20 :)

While you are looking at that screen. When someone hits Edit on a host line, how about popping up a box with Displayname, Hostname and Source (TNFS/SD) as editable lines?

Then you could split the screen vertically, with more lines for hosts but make the section narrower so there is more length for the filenames.

Status of cassette, R:, P: etc could go in the empty space below the disks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Old Fujinet Wroom issue

Updated to newest github platformio code this morning

No WIFI light(cant connect)

Oddly, if I go back one code revision(which was working just fine), also no wifi light(cant connect)

I just pushed a commit that builds/works on my wroom board. Pull and try again.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I agree the smaller font is easier to read, this is an Atari not a VIC-20 :)

While you are looking at that screen. When someone hits Edit on a host line, how about popping up a box with Displayname, Hostname and Source (TNFS/SD) as editable lines?

Then you could split the screen vertically, with more lines for hosts but make the section narrower so there is more length for the filenames.

Status of cassette, R:, P: etc could go in the empty space below the disks.

A few points:

• There's no where to store a "displayname". We could add that, but keep in mind every new bit of information we add and need keep track of requires changes not only in the Atari code, but in the communication protocol between the Atari and FujiNet (SIO commands) and then in code on FujiNet to store and reload all that from the configuration file. It's not rocket science, but it's also not trivial, so it has to have some pretty good utility value to be worth the effort.
  • Once we get beyond just TNFS and SD, we'll need a way to specify the host "type" or "protocol". Since there will be short number of these, I think it's easier in every way if it's provided as a selection list rather than a free-form type in field. The same way the current "New ATR Disk" sizes are currently presented.

Another thing we're having to balance is adding bells-and-whistles to the Atari CONFIG program while keeping the size down so that it doesn't take too long to load every time you want to make changes. The purpose of CONFIG is just to get you set up to actually use the programs you want to use. It should do that as quickly and efficiently as possible so you can get on your way to using the "real" software you're trying to load.

CONFIG shouldn't be the end-all and be-all remote storage access program.  Don't forget there will be other ways to do things outside of CONFIG. On the Atari side there is the N: handler and all the functionality that brings, and there are a bunch of additional tools @tschak909 has created in the FNC-TOOLS disk.  On the FujiNet side we can add functionality on the web interface to handle certain tasks where it makes sense.

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

I just pushed a commit that builds/works on my wroom board. Pull and try again.

hmm, still no wifi light.

Update, just started working again after rebooting and trying to connect a bunch of times

IMG_20200816_135031.jpg

Edited by Fierodoug5
now seems to be working

Cleaning up the file select screen. I have mostly pulled away the chonky text, added a delay for long filename fetch, and made the long filename more easily seen, as well as made the < > pagination keys more visible. (IGNORE THE MISSPELLED OPTION, I have to type inverse chars as hex!)

WIN_20200816_15_21_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.2a6ff017125925fdd58cd6431fb138e5.jpg

• Like 4