IGNORED

No One Talks About Impossamole or Head Over Heels

mmbe

These two games from Piko Interactive just seemed to disappear after their release.  I can't find any reviews for them online.  My fear is that they sold poorly and as a result we won't see anymore Jaguar releases from Piko.  I'm interest in getting Head Over Heels - I still have a $10 off coupon plus PayPal is offering $5 off if I buy from Piko and pay with PayPal (offer expires on Monday).

• Like 1

Impossamole i can understand the apathy for...

It was a weak title on it's original 8 and 16 bit release and part of that awful period where  developers trying to do console style platform games on home micros.

Stuff like Zool, Viking Child,  Magic Pockets, Super Frog, Brian The Lion, Mayhem In Monster World..very hit and miss.

But it's very dissapointing not to see Head Over Heels get appreciation.

There was an issue surrounding it's release with Jon Ritman himself posting about it here, i hope that issue was resolved, but Colin Porch did a superb job bringing the game to both the 8 abd 16 bit Atari home computers and it'sa game that deserves a new audience.

Colin was working on a sequel for the ST a few years ago until poor health put paid to that.

Shame  really.

A lot of great releases seem to fall by the wayside these days. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Isgoed said:

I just checked the Piko store and both games are in stock.

There are trailers for both games on the site also, and these give a good impression of the gameplay imo.

Have you looked for reviews of the Atari ST versions?

I have watched the trailers at Piko's store and read a few reviews of the Atari ST versions.  Just curious about how people like or dislike the Jaguar versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Good for you! You stick to your guns mate!

Although you could have typed "head over heels jaguar" into Google in the time it took you to type that. 

However,  embrace the ignorance! You got this!

?????

My answer was very topical. Lack of interest by this user due to 1 very awful game, and lack of recognition on the other. Mate. Now, I know you will be very urged to respond once again, because of your over sensitive nature to games you have a hand in, but before you do, please consider humping somebody else's leg. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

I got in on the pre-order for both, but was extremely disappointed (again) in the jump control not having an option for assigning it to a button.  Instead, you have to press UP.  So, I've not spent much time with Impossimole because I just find this control frustrating.

This trend of porting an ST game, but leaving the control scheme as-is has really soured me on these releases.  Even on the more recent cartridge releases of TMNT, Rampage, and Action Fighter, etc.  So many buttons to choose from on the Jaguar, but only 1 button used, like the ST or Amiga.  To me, when it gets put on cartridge and sold for this amount of $$, a little more care should be put into control options.  The old ST and Amiga may have used 1 button joysticks like the Atari 2600, but there's just no reason to leave it that way on the Jag.  I found myself just getting angry while playing TMNT and not really wanting to buy any more.  Although I've bought every physical release up to this point, I'm a little fatigued and quite frustrated at how many of them have no improvement to button options whatsoever.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kobra Kai said:

My answer was very topical. Lack of interest by this user due to 1 very awful game, and lack of recognition on the other. Mate. Now, I know you will be very urged to respond once again, because of your over sensitive nature to games you have a hand in, but before you do, please consider humping somebody else's leg. Have a nice day.

Not at all.

Just sick of people who think 'facebook' is the internet and would rather live in ignorance than look something up.  Easy access to the net containing the sum of all human knowledge has, somehow, made people dumber.

"Hey, I'll spent time whining in a post about something I've got incorrect or don't know about" instead of, you know, actually finding out easily what it is.

If that wasn't the intent then I apologise here. No offence taken :)

5 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Although I've bought every physical release up to this point, I'm a little fatigued and quite frustrated at how many of them have no improvement to button options whatsoever.

Thanks for the support, although most of them that need it actually do have these enhancements.

The Dizzy games have toggles for button/up to jump and other games have multiple button combinations/control input where it can be an improvement.  Some titles this is not possible, and for at least 75% of them it is not required at all.  Platformers are an exception, I haven't done too many of those but I do change the key mappings if it can be done.  This is also not to forget that you generally get better frame rate, better music and sound effects, faster loading, memory snapshots, etc.

Head over heels, in fact, adds buttons for 'carry & jump' and 'jump' which was a PITA on the original game, splitting it out to two buttons.

Each to their own.

• Like 3

I found it strange too that no one seemed very interested in the two new Jaguar games from Piko and do wonder how well they can of actually sold - I recently ordered the new AA games that were released for the Jaguar, but also ordered a copy of Defender of the Crown as well and that was numbered 252 of 300... Now bearing in mind Defender of the Crown was a pretty well known I.P and has sold 250 copies (near enough) since release then how does a badly known I.P fair - I just think Impossamole was a loser from the off, I am from those old gaming days and that game holds nothing in my head in terms of memories, Head Over Heels on the other hand I remember pretty well so that should have swayed me to buy it, but I still haven't - yet every ST Port Gaz has done I have bought... I do wonder if Piko will back out of releasing any more Jaguar titles, I know we are guessing at sales figures, but Impossamole (especially) can not have sold very well... There was a time a four or five years ago when any new release would have been eagerly snapped up by everyone on here, but now with new Jaguar games being released every month or two it is becoming harder to justify buying every single one of them so we all end up becoming more selective on what we buy - Impossamole for me is at the bottom of what is becoming quite a long list of new games I want - UWOL, Head Over Heels, Loopz, and the two next ST Ports are all well ahead of it in the pecking order for my money I am sorry to say... 

I think this is a fair review, the price point is just too high for me to justify for a pair of really average at best titles. 

I say that having bought both Dizzy's, Speedball, Xenon, UWOL and Switchblade. 

There's so much great homebrew content coming out I feel moving forward the likelihood that I will be buying these st ports from piko will be much more restricted. 

Both of them have sold less than 100, like 70 or so.

We'd still support the platform for a while. 

I think competing against unlicensed/bootleg stuff like Ninja Turtles and Rick Dangerous IP is hard. Head Over Heels has nothing compared to TMNT etc. But oh well, that's every other market in the retro scene. Hard to compete against Terranigma SNES with your little SNES homebrew, or smaller licensed title.

It is what it is.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, KevinMos3 said:

This trend of porting an ST game, but leaving the control scheme as-is has really soured me on these releases.  Even on the more recent cartridge releases of TMNT, Rampage, and Action Fighter, etc.  So many buttons to choose from on the Jaguar, but only 1 button used, like the ST or Amiga.  To me, when it gets put on cartridge and sold for this amount of $$, a little more care should be put into control options.  The old ST and Amiga may have used 1 button joysticks like the Atari 2600, but there's just no reason to leave it that way on the Jag.  I found myself just getting angry while playing TMNT and not really wanting to buy any more.  Although I've bought every physical release up to this point, I'm a little fatigued and quite frustrated at how many of them have no improvement to button options whatsoever.

Yeah I have to agree with this...  It's not too bad using Up to jump when it's a slow moving platformer (ie. Switchblade) but for quicker Mario style games it's a PITA with the stiffer joystick.  I've always wished someone made a gamepad where the 2nd button was mapped to Up for jumping.  Even when using Sega & Jag controllers with existing adapter cables none of the buttons were used for Up so all those extra buttons went to waste.

Fatal Rewind, orginally Killing Game Show, on the Mega Drive did it right with using both the Up and C button for jumping.  At least on a Genesis gamepad pressing Up is not so stiff on the more looser D-Pad...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:26 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Well; look what came in my stocking this year!

Hey; even if it's an "average" platformer on TG-16, that would make it one of the very best platformers on Jaguar! :) 

Will report back when i get some play time in. 

IMG_20191230_100914.jpg

Well don't keep us waiting... How was it?

• 2 weeks later...