IGNORED

2600 cart wil not fit in 7800

Tweety

5 hours ago, SmittyB said:

I believe the tolerances on the cartridge port are tighter on the 7800 than on the 2600 so a number of 3rd party cartridges won't fit and forcing a cartridge in will split a plastic cartridge guide piece inside.

Glad that it is not my imagination, I already thought "Why is this happening only to me!"

I use a dremel and route out the corners of the cartridge sleeve about 3/4 an inch or so from the bottom up. That removes enough to allow all the carts to fit without looking too obvious on first glance unless you look inside the cartridge slot really well.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 1:09 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I use a dremel and route out the corners of the cartridge sleeve about 3/4 an inch or so from the bottom up. That removes enough to allow all the carts to fit without looking too obvious on first glance unless you look inside the cartridge slot really well.

That's not how far I'm willing to go, in this way is taking extreme measures ?

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

I agree -- if I had to choose between butchering an old 7800 and playing that one game, I'd do without playing the one game. 

Doesn't really look any different from the outward appearance as I said. It is better than forcing them in until the cherry breaks on the sleeve itself which, is what happened with my daily driver unit and it broke in a few places. Konami carts are bad but so are the Sega shells and Imagic carts can be the worst and those are games you would want to play.

Here is one I did not too long ago. Again, once you have the top cover back on, you can't really notice it since it is all dark. And they are already exposed on the very bottom anyway showing the green PCB so only the corners are needed done in this case.

Cart_Port.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Doesn't really look any different from the outward appearance as I said. It is better than forcing them in until the cherry breaks on the sleeve itself which, is what happened with my daily driver unit and it broke in a few places. Konami carts are bad but so are the Sega shells and Imagic carts can be the worst and those are games you would want to play.

Here is one I did not too long ago. Again, once you have the top cover back on, you can't really notice it since it is all dark. And they are already exposed on the very bottom anyway showing the green PCB so only the corners are needed done in this case.

Cart_Port.jpg

Interesting... I'll open up mine tomorrow and take a peek ? in the belly of the beast.

After opening my 7800, did a quick study, inserted several cartridges, I know why now....

Just don't understand, why the tight fit, even some original 7800 games are just fitting in that slot and still I have to push hard and then pulling them out is not as easy as the 2600.

IMG_3041.thumb.jpg.eee346e8a0519e289764929df5f55884.jpg

Thank you all for the comments and information, I can say again that I've learned something again ?

For the most part, if I want to play 2600 games in my 7800, I use my Harmony Cart and avoid the issue. As noted above, this issue also affects some Sixers. But my daily-drivers are UAV-modded - a 4-Switch Woody and similarly-equipped 7800, both connected via to a real CRT. That way I don’t have to try to force carts in when the fit is too tight. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:09 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, I did what I said I would not do. Bought a cheap dremel type tool and did some grinding.

The Cartridges now fit easily in the slot, no more squeezing the cartridge into the slot, sometimes I was afraid to crack the board..

8 hours ago, Tweety said:

Well, I did what I said I would not do. Bought a cheap dremel type tool and did some grinding.

The Cartridges now fit easily in the slot, no more squeezing the cartridge into the slot, sometimes I was afraid to crack the board..

I really isn't that noticable if you did it the way I suggested but just routing out the corners. Also helps if you remove the sleeve from the main board which, I'm assuming you did?

On 12/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I really isn't that noticable if you did it the way I suggested but just routing out the corners. Also helps if you remove the sleeve from the main board which, I'm assuming you did?

I have two 7800's. One minty fresh fully boxed unit (w/larger opening) that I do not use and one that is my daily and has the tight cartridge slot. I opened it up and the cartridge sleeve is not removable. It appears that you should be able to by releasing the clips under the board, but the cartridge slot itself is screwed to the the sleeve from under then soldered to the board. Unless I am missing something, I see no way to remove the sleeve without desoldering the entire slot from board. Suggestions?

The cart sleeve is not attached to the cartridge port. It only sits over it. There are two screws that are covered with small squares of masking tape (Usually) one on either side to the left and right of the release tabs. You remove those screws and then press in on the tabs to remove the cartridge sleeve. That is all that needs to be removed to be modified in the manner I stated.

• Thanks 1