IGNORED

800XL restore looks to the function keys

nama

ive seen them tarnished, dimpled and creased. ive never meddled with them but some resto vids show the silver layer is removeable so i assume theyre just bonded on. it would be v.useful to find a source for new ones.

the material reminds me of the trim panel off a 1050 drive. some people attempt to bend these straight but ive yet to see a nice result, they just end up with more creases

4 hours ago, nama said:

I'm just restoring an Atari 800XL that I recently got. Lots of wear on the aluminum function keys. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to make these look like new again? I was thinking to polish them with a light abrasive liquid (Jif?), but not sure.

Thanks

Hi, the trims are iridite treated brushed aluminum. Metal polish will take them back to shiny Aluminium and you can then carefully sand the surface in a straight line to recreate the brushed look although they won't look like the original iridite surface. I'd recommend a good clear coat afterwards as they would easily mark with no protection. I chose to paint a set last year with a re-anodizing spray paint, here's a link to that post in the restoration thread:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Tezz, those look great. Well done. I also saw another post on that thread where you had just polished them back, and although not original looking, it looked quite stylish.

Couple of question, is there a trick for popping off the function keys or do they just come off easilly?

And finally, can you share a link to the paint you used? I'll have to find something similar here in New Zealand!

Thanks

Edited by nama

2 hours ago, nama said:

Couple of question, is there a trick for popping off the function keys or do they just come off easilly?

And finally, can you share a link to the paint you used? I'll have to find something similar here in New Zealand!

Thanks

There are several varieties of XL keyboard by different manufacturers. These are: Alps which use SKFL switches, AWC type 1 which uses Futaba ML switches, AWC type 2/3 which have Cherry M8 switches in either open or closed top, the Stackpole/Membrain type (they are easily identified by the heavy metal backplate). There is also the Mitsumi keyboard which I have not currently had personally. The keycaps can all be pulled off, you just need to be carefull to pull them evenly on each side not to damage the switch. Keycap pullers are recommended for the main keyboard but you shouldn't have any trouble pulling off the console keys without damage. The paint I used was VHT Anodized Silver base but any similar should work fine as long as the surface is sufficiently keyed.

• Like 1

In original the keys looks like brushed aluminum.
I came up with a simple way for imitate this effect in home conditions.
You need to make a guide with glued sandpaper. Then get the key and slide it gently and precisely in one direction. Repeat the action, and watch the key every time until you get nice effect. Check all keys and compare them to get an even effect on each.
First I used sandpaper 240, and next I used sandpaper 1200, but the second one only for slight soft smooth. If you will polish to much by 1200, then brushed aluminum effect will disapear, so you'll have to use 240 again. And again: you must compare every keys to achieve same effect on all of them.
I attach pictures of my simple tool, and how the keys looks before and after my work. Descriptions on the pictures are in Polish, but I think you can see what's going on.
It's not nesessery, but for final finish you can try to varnishing surface of the keys by very thin layer of varnish. I did it, but I don't remember what varnish I used... Final effect you can see on the last picture.

The tool:

tool.jpg

Stages of work:

keys.jpg

Varnished:

varnished.jpg

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 3