IGNORED

Jaguar non working - black screen & high pitch light buzzing sound from motherboard near CPU

Chandler

Trying to repair a Jaguar i recently picked up which doesn't work

It has the original Jaguar PSU and that works ok and has the correct voltage

I have cleaned and cleaned the cartridge port and game cart contacts, they are both gold and clean!

Power on the jaguar stripped down to bare motherboard

Green light illuminated with game inserted - black screen, nothing more, tried this many times with different games

I can hear this high pitch buzzing / hissing sound from around the CPU area, nothing getting hot around there

I don't know it's history but it was bought new and is boxed so i don't assume it has had the wrong power adaptor inserted

I have looked for the usual U38 / REG 1 / Capacitor blown issue and there are no signs of damage on this machine

Is there anything else i can test?

I have tested voltages around the CPU and they are 5v so i don't think the console has a power issue

Any ideas?

From what I have read, sometimes it can be very difficult to see any signs of damage. Console 5 sells the Jag cap kit. It is cheap(like $8-9) but looks like it is a job for someone who has skills. That might be a good starting place.

When I bought a dead jag, the light would not come on.....it was totally doa. I just switched out the whole motherboard with a NOS. I do not think they sell those any longer though. Wish I would have grabbed a bunch of those.

Well i'm going to change U38 then as it's easy, just purchased the part

But personally i don't think it's that as the green light is on and good voltages over the board, but who knows eh?

I am amazed though that there is so little about Jaguar repairs on the net compared to other Atari consoles...

• 4 weeks later...